Notices

Wrx Keeps stalling on idle

Search this Thread

Old 10 November 2019, 11:26 AM
MrQaud
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrx Keeps stalling on idle

2007 WRX... I decided to give it a good wind up off a roundabout in 3rd gear... Car started acting up as soon as I backed off, I could tell it was wanting to stall - so long as I kept the revs up it would run. I coasted into the first layby where it promptly conked out. I restarted it and if I gave it some revs, it will run but as soon as I let it idle it just died. No engine management lights on. Got the AA out and they connected up to do a diagnostic check and no fault codes. They thought it could be a hose had blown off, but they couldn't find any. As it was around midnight and I had a further 100+ mile to go, they took the car to their yard and gave me a courtesy car to get home with then delivering the car back to me tomorrow. Car has had a major overhaul in the last year by the previous owner - he spent around £8K on a nut and bolt restoration of most of the car including, bolts, bushes, engine hoses etc etc so I know it has been well looked after.

Other than a hose detaching, could it be a blown coil pack or something? It sounded fine when I revved it although perhaps slightly louder. I couldn't see any black smoke out of the back although it was dark so can't be sure.

Anyone got any ideas on where to start looking for the problem?

Many thanks.

Last edited by MrQaud; 23 December 2019 at 03:50 PM.
Old 10 November 2019, 04:54 PM
m40ttc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I’d carry on down the blown/ split pipe route. Mine did this once with the same result.
could do a smoke test to check for leaks.
Old 11 November 2019, 02:34 PM
MrQaud
Scooby Regular

Small update to the problem... Disconnecting the MAF plug will allow the car to start and idle fine...
Old 11 November 2019, 04:06 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 234 Likes on 174 Posts

then I decided to give it a good wind up off a roundabout in 3rd gear to see what it could do

youve got a vacuum leak somewhere cause by a hose being unseated or blown off because of the above

Last edited by Gambit; 11 November 2019 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11 November 2019, 04:18 PM
MrQaud
Scooby Regular

Many thanks for the responses so far - very much appreciated.

My local garage has just come back to me after having a look. The mechanic says that the inlet manifold flaps motor has been blanked off. When it was done, it left some holes which someone has filled with a chemical metal. The filled hole at the back above the starter motor has fallen out creating a leak.

What parts do I need to fix this - is there some sort of specific blanking plate I need - it's an 07 plate Hawkeye WRX Wagon. Many thanks.
Old 11 November 2019, 04:38 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 234 Likes on 174 Posts

is it the secondary air pump valves that have been "blanked" red neck stylee?

if so just google "subaru secondary air pump blanking plate" for cheap ones or else buy the expensive ones
https://rogerclarkmotorsport.co.uk/s...ump-delete-kit that comes with gaskets and bolts
Old 11 November 2019, 04:45 PM
MrQaud
Scooby Regular

It was the TGV delete holes - there are 4 holes, 3 of which are still filled up and the fourth one is no longer blocked up... Had the forth one re-blocked with some chemical metal and the problem is solved.
I've not got a lot of confidence anymore however - worried it might happen again. May have to invest in a RCM Motorsport TGV delete kit (https://rogerclarkmotorsport.co.uk/s...tgv-delete-kit) - unfortunately it's £335.99 with the VAT plus fitting time.

Update - fitted the RCM kit a couple of weeks ago and all is now good.

Last edited by MrQaud; 23 December 2019 at 03:51 PM.