Notices

WRX ej205 - should I be afraid of oil starvation during trackdays?

Search this Thread

Old 10 November 2019, 12:47 PM
uxon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX ej205 - should I be afraid of oil starvation during trackdays?

Engine in my WRX is nearly stock, apart from a map and 11mm oil pump. Car is my fast daily driver, but I am seriously considering attending to some trackdays or maybe autocross events. I would like to buy semislicks (second wheels set), set some more agressive geometry and see how my car handles this kind of usage. One thing that I am concerned about is oil starvation during hard cornering.
So the question is to guys who sometimes take their subbies (especially ej205 equipped) to track events. Is it necessary to make any modifications to the oil pan/sump (i.e. baffle plate)? Or is it sufficient for going to the track once in a while to just keep maximum or above oil level?
Old 11 November 2019, 10:51 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 257 Likes on 223 Posts

I would if it was me. Although wouldn't take my Impreza on track days unless I had the fund to replace the engine.
Old 12 November 2019, 12:20 PM
uxon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have any experience to back this up? Or is it just how you feel?
Although wouldn't take my Impreza on track days unless I had the fund to replace the engine.
Isn't the Impreza a pointless car then? On the road many new diesels can be faster. With 5speed gearbox you shouldn't be launching, so you have no advantage on stand still starts. The Impreza has a reputation of being faster on turns. But if you afraid to take it to some turns, what is the point of this car?

I have talked to a shop that is currently taking care of my WRX (very reputable subaru-only shop) and they advised me against any modifications of ej205 oil pan, unless I am building a real rally or race car. In their opinion the street WRX (on street suspension, geometry, etc.) isn't going to generate such G-force that could be dangerous for stock oil sump (BTW. stock ej205 oil sump is baffled from factory), even on semi slick tyres.
They told me that baffle plates are pointless in a stock engine, but they are mandatory for built engine with forged pistons.
I have read that quite good option is to change the oil pan from ej205 to the one from ej255, which was redesigned. My shop told me it's a better idea, but still too much effort for a street car - since it needs new oil pan, reinforced oil pickup, ej255 exhaust manifold and some other small bits.
Isn't there anyone who goes to trackdays or autocross events once in a while? Do you have any mods to the oiling system?
Old 12 November 2019, 12:35 PM
siluro
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by uxon
Do you have any experience to back this up? Or is it just how you feel?

Isn't the Impreza a pointless car then? On the road many new diesels can be faster. With 5speed gearbox you shouldn't be launching, so you have no advantage on stand still starts. The Impreza has a reputation of being faster on turns. But if you afraid to take it to some turns, what is the point of this car?

I have talked to a shop that is currently taking care of my WRX (very reputable subaru-only shop) and they advised me against any modifications of ej205 oil pan, unless I am building a real rally or race car. In their opinion the street WRX (on street suspension, geometry, etc.) isn't going to generate such G-force that could be dangerous for stock oil sump (BTW. stock ej205 oil sump is baffled from factory), even on semi slick tyres.
They told me that baffle plates are pointless in a stock engine, but they are mandatory for built engine with forged pistons.
I have read that quite good option is to change the oil pan from ej205 to the one from ej255, which was redesigned. My shop told me it's a better idea, but still too much effort for a street car - since it needs new oil pan, reinforced oil pickup, ej255 exhaust manifold and some other small bits.
Isn't there anyone who goes to trackdays or autocross events once in a while? Do you have any mods to the oiling system?
Firstly a WRX is a road car and was not designed to be tracked. Plenty of people do track them I am sure.

Try RCM or Killer B for oil baffles and pickup pipes etc.... The standard oil pickup is known to be weak. I have no experience but I would not take my Daily Driver WRX for track days without some mods in this area. I would not track any daily driver especially autocross. You should have bought an STI if you want to track day your car. I agree with Jaygsi if you are not prepared for some big bills don't track it.

https://rogerclarkmotorsport.co.uk/
https://www.killerbmotorsport.net/

Last edited by siluro; 12 November 2019 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12 November 2019, 12:45 PM
scooby kid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

i run a twinscroll sump on my ej205 no oil starvation that i know off, well the bearings are still in it so thats a good point, the twinscroll sump has a better pick up position and is around £180 fas a full kit,
group N sump is £400-600 alot cheaper than an engine build, but a stock wrx on stock suspension isn't likely to suffer from it.
Old 12 November 2019, 02:18 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 257 Likes on 223 Posts

No never been on a track day. Although one of my Impreza's was tracked by last owner. The car is standard and he mainly used on track days. It still runs fine but areas of the car feel warn. I think gear box or engine mounts need replacing.

My main thinking behind it is yes Subaru's are well build and can take a lot of flack. Problem is most of these cars are getting on now, and most will have been owned by heavy footed drivers. And then turning it into a track car to me sounds like problems will arise.

Was looking a while ago to buy a classic. One UK owner, not even registered and only used on track. But had been in storage for a few years. Unfortantly he sold it to his neighbour, who tracked it and blew the engine on first track day. What a waste. Think cambelt went, plonker never changed it. Before tracking.

Originally Posted by uxon
Do you have any experience to back this up? Or is it just how you feel?Isn't the Impreza a pointless car then? On the road many new diesels can be faster. With 5speed gearbox you shouldn't be launching, so you have no advantage on stand still starts. The Impreza has a reputation of being faster on turns. But if you afraid to take it to some turns, what is the point of this car?

Old 12 November 2019, 03:09 PM
siluro
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jaygsi
No never been on a track day. Although one of my Impreza's was tracked by last owner. The car is standard and he mainly used on track days. It still runs fine but areas of the car feel warn. I think gear box or engine mounts need replacing.

My main thinking behind it is yes Subaru's are well build and can take a lot of flack. Problem is most of these cars are getting on now, and most will have been owned by heavy footed drivers. And then turning it into a track car to me sounds like problems will arise.

Was looking a while ago to buy a classic. One UK owner, not even registered and only used on track. But had been in storage for a few years. Unfortantly he sold it to his neighbour, who tracked it and blew the engine on first track day. What a waste. Think cambelt went, plonker never changed it. Before tracking.
I bet there is lots of stories like this as people cannot actually afford to look after these cars properly, they think they can. They need much more attention than some ****ty Corsa or Punto which they came from.
Old 12 November 2019, 09:20 PM
scoobaholic
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

I did a little track driving with the stock sump and no problems. If you‘re on street tyres and taking it easy I wouldn‘t worry too much. If you‘re on semi slicks and pushing it, personally I wouldn‘t wanna risk it, especially if it‘s your daily.
I went with a twinscroll group n sump and stick to good street tyres for peace of mind.
Old 13 November 2019, 01:20 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

If you have never done track days before, I'd say that there is very little chance of you experiencing oil-surge, especially if you stay away from semi-slicks (and even if youd o run semi-slicks tbh).

I've done a few track days on the standard sump (2003 wrx), and at least according to the gauges there has never been any oil pressure issues (on a random selection of tyres). I've always ran the sump overfilled, however, and made sure to keep it topped up through the day. The bigger problem IMO for a standard car is fuel surge, which could also lunch your engine if you end up running too lean just as you're stepping on it coming out of a corner.

I've now gone for a twin scroll sump, for peace of mind more than anything, and I will do the same overfilling on this sump and see how I get on.

Also, the track probably makes a difference - e.g. Snetterton around the "bombhole" looks like it could be an issue, but e.g. brands shouldn't be too bad IMO (except maybe for the very last corner).