Notices

Wrx classic turbocharger

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2021, 11:06 PM
sheldrake001
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrx classic turbocharger

I'm currently rebuilding my wrx 99 classic, I believe the turbo to be a HL-13, from what I know this is a td04 13g turbo, is this correct ? And do any other cores fit in to the original housings I.e a roller bearing core of the vf series ? Or can I install a bigger td04 core?

Thanks in advance
Old 23 January 2021, 11:48 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by sheldrake001
I'm currently rebuilding my wrx 99 classic, I believe the turbo to be a HL-13, from what I know this is a td04 13g turbo, is this correct ? And do any other cores fit in to the original housings I.e a roller bearing core of the vf series ? Or can I install a bigger td04 core?

Thanks in advance
is it a WRX , as in Japanese import? If so, I think it should have some form of VFxx turbo?

If it's a UK car, then it's probably a td04L-13T (I think!!).

You cannot easily change the chra for a ball bearing one, as far as I know, at least not if you have a td04 of some sort.

Assuming it is a td04 you have, you could change the chra and compressor housing, as long as you get something with the same exhaust housing (easiest way to make sure is to measure the exhaust wheel.
You cannot easily fit a td04HL exhaust wheel to a td04L turbo, as the exhaust wheel will not fit into the housing (modification of housing or new housing required), but if you go down that route you might as well buy a brand new turbo with he right wheel/housing combo, as it's probably not cost effective to rebuild a knackered turbo if you have to change all housings and wheels.

is your current turbo broken?
Old 24 January 2021, 10:48 AM
sheldrake001
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Henrik
is it a WRX , as in Japanese import? If so, I think it should have some form of VFxx turbo?

If it's a UK car, then it's probably a td04L-13T (I think!!).

You cannot easily change the chra for a ball bearing one, as far as I know, at least not if you have a td04 of some sort.

Assuming it is a td04 you have, you could change the chra and compressor housing, as long as you get something with the same exhaust housing (easiest way to make sure is to measure the exhaust wheel.
You cannot easily fit a td04HL exhaust wheel to a td04L turbo, as the exhaust wheel will not fit into the housing (modification of housing or new housing required), but if you go down that route you might as well buy a brand new turbo with he right wheel/housing combo, as it's probably not cost effective to rebuild a knackered turbo if you have to change all housings and wheels.

is your current turbo broken?
thanks for getting back to me, the turbo is ok as far as I can tell, the housings are mint and the core is good, but I thought I'd replace the core as it's all apart, it is a uk spec so I think its the hl-13 , I'm guessing the 16g 19g or what ever means bigger compressor wheels or different pitches ? So I was wondering if I could fit a bigger one in the same housing