Notices

Classic import sti misfire/hesitation please help !

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2021, 11:01 AM
Slipalong88
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic import sti misfire/hesitation please help !

Hello everyone, I’m at my wits end with my Subaru 😞 it’s been a nightmare lately ...

to start a little backstory on the car, I’m a delivery driver and I see this 1996 estate sti import sat in a lady’s drive for over a year and it didn’t move, so one day I enquire and end up buying said car, so it had been sat for just over a year, I got it up together and mot’d , initially it had a issue where it would hunt up and down once started, I cleaned the sensor on the top of the intake manifold and that sorted the hunting...

now to the misfire, it’s worse when it’s cold it bunny hops and skips up the road until warm ... once warm the only time it does it is when you put your foot down say another 30% or hit the turbo it stutters and suddenly boom it boosts like a jet plane it’s madness ... then change gear and same again stutter until boost hits in properley.

so far I have changed the coil pack, ht leads, cleaned the maf, changed the plugs with ngk pfr6b plugs, changed the manifold and up pipe due to a rotted up pipe and manifold, changed vac lines and checked the turbo no play or anything, it doesn’t smoke or use water or oil... on full boost I get a smell of fuel through the heaters ...?

any ideas at this point would be appreciated a lot !!!

my next port of call was to strip the intake manifold and injectors and refresh everything there but to be honest I don’t want to do in blind, a few ideas would be fantastic at least I’d have something to go on 🙂
Old 13 February 2021, 12:23 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 449 Likes on 373 Posts

It might be the MAF is gone. Replace with a good OEM original. Not a replica. Could also be fuel pump and clogged sock. Also if its been sat for so long check the PCV valve.

Have you done the usual, full service and checked the air filter.
Old 13 February 2021, 12:34 PM
Slipalong88
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi chap, yea I’ve put a brand new filter on, oil and fuel filter etc, one thing I haven’t checked is the pvc valve to be fair, I’m not even sure the classics had it lol... I have a good known working spare from a blob if they remained the same between the two so I can replace that later on, as for the maf yea it’s a possibility although I would have though my if it was the maf I’d have idle issues as junctions etc ?
Old 13 February 2021, 07:39 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 449 Likes on 373 Posts

When a MAF starts going it can cause a few different issues, rough idle,lack of power etc Thats why I decided to get rid the first chance I got.

Classics deffo have a PCV valve because that went on mine and took both engine and turbo out. It might not cause the issues you are experiencing but I thought it was worth mentioning.