Notices

Re-remap... what fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 22 December 2021, 08:41 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Re-remap... what fuel?

1998 classic, suffered bottom end failure in summer 2009, due to two pieces of poor luck. 2010, engine rebuilt by DLM Darlington and the late, great Harvey Smith. Now has a 2.5 forged, fmic etc.
Mapped by Bob Rawle.

SORN'd for the last six years, mostly outside, due to unforseen circumstances.

Just had the bodywork done properly and it's had a full respray. Much new metal and sealing. Is now mint, and the original 559 bright red, that was never that bright, now replaced by Ferrari Rosso Corsa. Which is

But it doesn't start properly and runs lumpy, refusing to idle if it does start.

So it's off back to Darlington for some TLC and map tweaks, in the new year.

Presently running an obsolete LINK ECU , mapped and fitted first by Bob in 2003, but will probably get a G4X.

So, my question: given the 95E10 now prevalent, and the difficulty of getting Shell V-Power within 30 miles of me, ( I have to rely on Tossco Momentum, which is in stock when they can be bothered), should I:

Have it mapped for 95E10 and risk it, or,
have it mapped to someone else's 97, or,
stick with V-Power/Momentum and not be able to take it to France again, or,
something else?

Interested in what others with older cars are doing/have done.
Thanks.

Last edited by alcazar; 22 December 2021 at 08:43 PM.
Old 22 December 2021, 11:59 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 449 Likes on 373 Posts

Normally I'd say map for whatever is most convenient. If you can't get 99ron then the normal stuff will have to do. However you could go down the dual map route and have different fuels compatibility.

Flex fuel is something I've heard about but tends to be mixes of petrol and other stuff. Not sure if that could be used for different Ron fuel.
Old 23 December 2021, 11:42 AM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I'd get it mapped for whatever fuel is most prevalent. The higher the octane, the higher potential power but not a lot of point if you struggle to find 99. I guess if you have it mapped for 95E10, you can fill the car up with any fuel without issue.
Old 23 December 2021, 11:55 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts

Agree with the above posters - if you're going to be using the car, then having to find "the right fuel" is a massive hassle IMO... especially if out on the motorway etc and the next 3x services are BP instead of shell etc etc.

I did the same with my bug-eye (though I went for 97RON), and it was really nice to be able to pull up to basically any forecourt and get fuel.
Old 23 December 2021, 04:37 PM
Croney
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What is the approximate power difference that can be expected from 95 vs 99?.
I'd be really interested if anyone has experience of this
Old 23 December 2021, 04:41 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Croney
What is the approximate power difference that can be expected from 95 vs 99?.
I'd be really interested if anyone has experience of this
I personally don't but going back a number of years a lot of guys ran duel maps for different fuel. There were quite a few topics and there was a difference in BHP.
Old 23 December 2021, 05:51 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

How would a dual map work in practice?
Bob told me to run THREE full tanks of 95 through it before mapping if I wanted it mapped to 95.
All off boost, or sub 0.5 bar, of course.
So mixing fuels, which map to use????

What of the corrosive nature of 95E10? I've changed the underbonnet rubber fuel pipes for best quality ones just before it was SORN'd.
What else?
Old 23 December 2021, 07:13 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts

Surely you could drain the tank instead?
Old 23 December 2021, 11:10 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
How would a dual map work in practice?
Bob told me to run THREE full tanks of 95 through it before mapping if I wanted it mapped to 95.
All off boost, or sub 0.5 bar, of course.
So mixing fuels, which map to use????

What of the corrosive nature of 95E10? I've changed the underbonnet rubber fuel pipes for best quality ones just before it was SORN'd.
What else?

Honestly don't know mate like I said just remember seeing topics about it years ago. Being in the city never really had a problem getting hold of 99 ron fuel so not looked into it. But I would assume flexfuel would do that without having to change maps. Technology has moved on loads now.

Are there any other pieces of rubber from the fuel pump onwards? I checked a my 99 and government website said it was e10 compatible.

Like @Henrik says drain the tank should be good enough even if there is a slight residual in there. In theory your car shouldn't be mapped to such a point where there is no headroom.
Old 24 December 2021, 12:01 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I would imagine that you would map the car for say 99ron and then lower the boost and retard the ignition to create a "safe" map. Obviously the "Safe" map won't be performance optimised, just set so that you can safely drive the car until you can run a full tank of 99 back through and change the map. Seems a bit of a pfaff to be honest. I could understand if you had 2 swichable fuel tanks. If you have to fill with a lower octane, just drive gently until you can put higher octane back in? Can't say it's ever been an issue for me in 7 years. Think I once had to put £10 worth of 97 BP. Other than that, never been a problem finding 98/99ron anywhere in the country.
Old 26 December 2021, 05:42 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

We used to have TWO Shell stations, but one was opposite Asda so did little trade except for V-Power unless they kept their prices close to Asda. The other had to match that price or get little trade.
It went like that for a few years, but Shell didnt like the low profits.
So they shut the one near to Asda and bumped the prices at the other...making it the dearest in town.
It went under in under a year.
Now the closest is in Hull, around 45 miles round trip and £3 on the bridge, Donny, around a 56 mile round trip, or Grimsby, around 68 mile round trip.
Old 27 December 2021, 08:01 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Does anyone know if there are (m)any other rubber pipes needing replaced?
The two under the bonnet split and showered the hot turbo and down pipe with V-Power.

I still remember opening the bonnet and watching, helpless, waiting for the "WHOOOOOF" that spelled the end of my car.

Happily, it never came.