Notices

Exhaust Hitting Underside

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2024, 11:30 AM
Sub-Subaru
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Hitting Underside

A couple of years ago while doing a few upgrades before a remap, I replaced the exhaust system on my 2004 WRX. I fitted a prodrive sports cat and link pipe, I bought a new cheap stainless centre section, and then fitted a second hand cobra sport back box. I thought it best to replace the exhaust rubber hangers, with some new (aftermarket) ones. The car has been in storage most of the time since changing the exhaust but I noticed straight away that the exhaust knocks on the underside of the car.

I have had a chance now to get the car properly up on a ramp and I can see that there are two places the exhaust is making contact. The first area is the flange where the centre section joins the link pipe. This doesn't worry me too much but I can probably place some kind of spacer between the flange and the underside here. The second more worrying place is the straight pipe of the back box that goes under the rear diff and rear drive shafts. The pipe when moving around from bumps in the road can bounce up and make contact with the left hand side rear drive shaft just as it comes out the rear diff. It has already caused some wear to that area of the exhaust pipe which isn't good as it might wear a hole through.

I am wondering what the best course of action to take is. I effectively need to low the exhaust a few millimetres at the back end. I am thinking I need to try and find some longer exhaust hanger rubbers that will lower it a little. The thing is that the size of the metal rods on the aftermarket exhaust that the rubber hangers go through is so thin that there is too much play. The exhaust could still bounce up within the amount of play. Anybody had this issue and have any suggestions?
Old 28 June 2024, 11:34 AM
Sub-Subaru
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts