Notices

Turbo timer OR Electric Oil Pump??

Search this Thread

Old 12 August 2002, 10:58 PM
AliG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Point taken but somtimes I just cant help myself as both ends of my regular journy are the best bit nice fast A roads with some fun roundabouts and I am just forced to run at FULL boost !!

so any advise would be appreciated

Ali G

[Edited by AliG - 12/8/2002 10:59:17 PM]
Old 08 December 2002, 04:15 AM
AliG
Scooby Regular

Question

I have been thinking of fitting a turbo timer but I am reluctant due to the issues of leaving the car runnign and no being able to set my sigma alarm.

As the principal as I see it is to allow the oil to continue to flow arroud the turbo until it has cooled down to preserve its life, I was thinking that an electric oil pump wired to a temp controlled cct that would cut in after ignition switch off untill an acceptable temp is reached.

On the face of it this would seem to provide a better solution to the problem, has anybody got any opinions, advice or experiance on this

Alistair
Old 08 December 2002, 03:42 PM
hypoluxa
Scooby Regular

Personally I wouldn't bother, its easier and cheaper to run the last few miles off boost...

You can then spend your money and time on other things
Old 09 December 2002, 01:51 AM
JonnyT
Scooby Regular

I have a Turbo Timer fitted to mine...it can be a little annoying if ur in a hurry or something and u have to sit there for 2 1/2 minutes while it warms down, so either u put up with the wait, or lock ur car and DON'T set the alarm!
On mine I have it on auto, but u can set the amount of time it runs for yourself, so I dunno! Lol.
I'd say get a Turbo timer, and if u hate the wait, drive the last few miles off boost and it'll only stay on for like 30 seconds anyway!!
Old 09 December 2002, 02:14 AM
AliG
Scooby Regular

Cheers Jonny

but I understand the Turbo timer principal and don't think it offers enough advantage for the money so I suppose I have already ruled this out what I am really after is info on the electric oil pump Idea

Alistair
Old 09 December 2002, 10:27 AM
tinvek
Scooby Regular

im sure you can get oil resevoires that plumb in your turbo feed pipe, they collect oil whilst your running and store it under preasure then when the engine stops they release the oil back into the feed pipe to keep it flowing though im not sure for how long

think demon tweaks used to sell them not sure about now
Old 09 December 2002, 11:45 AM
scoobeee
Scooby Regular

Electric oil pump good idea ! not only for shutdown but pre start ! just make sure it's got a good non return valve on it !
Any idea which pump you are going to use ?
Old 09 December 2002, 08:49 PM
AliG
Scooby Regular

I don't know wha would be involved really so hadn't decided on a pump but searching the internet I found an american system made by Dana pumps that seems to be a complete solution but i cant find a UK supplier or any prices, also I would rather make this up from part if I can find anybody who knows anything about this as it would be cheeper

Old 15 December 2002, 09:35 PM
AliG
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

btt
Old 16 December 2002, 12:30 AM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Check out a Renault 21 Turbo. When the engine was switched off, there was a humming noise from a motor under the engine. I never got round to finding out what it was, but sounded like a pump.

Failing that, get an alarm that does it. i got a Clifford and use the built in timer to keep the engine running after I take the key out and arm the alarm.

H