Notices

engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2003, 10:08 AM
DJ ATOMIC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

is it just me or do scoobys sound like a diesal when they cold start?? the tappets clank and make it sound like a tank or somthing is there any fix for this diesal type noise i take it i dont have piston slap!!!!!what should i listen out for to see if it is piston slap as the car is under warrenty

any help greatfull

jo

ps allso have a tinkering sound when booting it hard i have my heat sheild welded up coz they were rattling. but the guys at scooby said they could not get to some coz of the heat from the exhaust shoudl i go and get them to do the rest!!!is the rattle coming from them!!!

[Edited by DJ ATOMIC - 3/4/2003 10:09:12 AM]
Old 04 March 2003, 10:19 AM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

see my earlier post
Old 04 March 2003, 10:40 AM
DJ ATOMIC
Scooby Regular

cheers charlie

so to sum it up all scoobys rattle like a tank when started cold!! o well i own a scooby:-)
what does piston slap sound like though as i have heard about it but dont know what to listen for...is it loud or a bang noise any info greatfull

then all i have to do is sort out my heat shields if it is them tinking when i boot it dont go away when warm!!!!
Old 04 March 2003, 05:31 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

lol mines noisey as well when cold
i read that piston slap post, listend to the mp3 and thought "its fooked" lmao
Old 04 March 2003, 05:49 PM
danny-boy
Scooby Regular

My local Subaru dealer has just put in a claim to Subaru UK to get my piston slap sorted.

Mines a MY98 and is well out of its warranty but they are going to sort it. This is a manufacturer’s defect and has nothing to do with warranties.

The turbo's need slightly bigger pistons, and the sport needs a new short block to resolve the problem.

I suggest you give your local dealer a call and don’t take no bullsh!t off of. BTW you need to have a Full Subaru Service History to get it sorted according to my dealer, as they need your service book to send off to Subaru UK.

Hope this helps

Dan
Old 04 March 2003, 06:10 PM
DJ ATOMIC
Scooby Regular

were is the mp3 of the the noise??? i get a tappety type sound its not a knock sound but i would like to make shure
Old 04 March 2003, 06:12 PM
DJ ATOMIC
Scooby Regular

any info on the type of sound that i am looking for would be good

jo
Old 04 March 2003, 06:30 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Jo,

YHM

Stefan
Old 04 March 2003, 08:39 PM
dr_jones
Scooby Regular

**** "allso have a tinkering sound when booting it hard" *****

You should be careful with this one - it could be pre-detonation which'll obviously blow holes in the tops of your pistons.

Obviously I havn't heard the sound but a tinkering sound is a really good description of what pre-det sounds like. what fuel / boost levels do you run?
Old 05 March 2003, 09:38 AM
danny-boy
Scooby Regular

If its piston slap, then it doesnt damage your engine. Basically the standard pistons are slightly too small so they rattle (for want of another word) when cold, as they get hotter the piston expands (as metal does when heated) and the problem goes away.

Contact your dealer and they should sort it for you.

Dumpvalve wise, have you got a re circ valve or a dump to atmosphere valve. Recirc valves are fine, its the atmosphere "can" cause problems on some cars.

Cheers

Dan
Old 05 March 2003, 09:52 AM
DJ ATOMIC
Scooby Regular

got a dump to atmo one it think it has lost power since i put it on not shure tho

will ring my dealer about the piston slap

jo
Old 05 March 2003, 09:56 AM
danny-boy
Scooby Regular

Yup, you will lose power, VTA dump valves are good on some cars but i dont think Scoobies like them as they lose boost.

I think you also lose about 10 hp.

I've flog it and get a Recirc valve.

Cheers

Dan
Old 05 March 2003, 10:18 AM
DJ ATOMIC
Scooby Regular

cheers mate will look into it

just phoned my dealer they are going to take a look at my car when it goes in for a service in april he says they just replace number 4 piston with a slightly over sized one to take up the slack

he tryed to tell me that if it was below 3 years old it would be changed and that mine cant be done i told him bollocks i have 1 years full warrenty when i got the car and it is a design falt that subaru is willing to fix he then said he will see how bad it is..

fecking c**ts

jo

he did say its nothing at all to worry about and that no harm will come to the engine (can i smell ****!!!i can!!!!smells like bull****)
Old 05 March 2003, 10:32 AM
DJ ATOMIC
Scooby Regular

well you know what dealers are like. he said to me "are you trying to tell me what to do" "i said no but its a defect that subaru know about and should be fixed if it is present" he then said "i will see how bad it is" "i said i dont care how bad it is it should be fixed" so we will see in april what happens ,they are cheeky they cant be arsed to do anything other than moan!!

jo
Old 08 March 2003, 10:07 PM
sparkster
Scooby Regular

Talk about hearing your car problems described perfectly. Mines a jap import wrx and used to make pinging noises. I used to run it on BP super unleaded. I dont think the ron number was high enough. Changed to Shell optimax - reset the ECU and the pinging has gone. Dont use any other fuel appart from optimax - think its 98 ron.

Oh by the way, redlined my car in fifth today and the engine told me where to shove it. Had to get lifted and engine now clanks away likle a diesel. Looks like i'll be selling my house to fix this one. You can only laugh!!
Old 08 March 2003, 10:22 PM
sparkster
Scooby Regular

just read your other mails. I know its expensive but you need to run your scooby on Super unleaded. Trust me, you wont get the pinging noise when you horse it and it will protect your engine

Sparkster
Old 10 March 2003, 10:05 AM
DJ ATOMIC
Scooby Regular

not to shure about that one as i had the heat shields rattle when i got the car they just welded them up and it stopped but they missed some out coz they were hot and they only tink when the car is hot and when its doing about 3 thousand i can let off and it goes away apply even a bit of throttle and it tinks soo as it revs past 3000 its fine and it dont do i when its cold and thats what the other heats shields did...

but iw ill try some optimax next time and see mate

jo
Old 03 May 2003, 09:32 AM
DJ ATOMIC
Scooby Regular

well if it sounds like the mp3 then i have it!! kind of a diesal sound.. should i be concerned about this or speak to my dealer as it is under warrenty

i have never heard the warm one

what should i do leave it or see the dealer about it

jo

run normal unleaded fuel normal boost i do have a dump valve on and an itg filter i have heard that the dump valve can cause a fault coz its not getting the air that gets dumped

[Edited by DJ ATOMIC - 3/5/2003 9:34:28 AM]
Old 03 May 2003, 10:25 AM
danny-boy
Scooby Regular

You have up to 6 years to get manufacturers defects repaired.

I was under the impression it was Piston number 3.

But I may be wrong.

Good luck mate

[Edited by danny-boy - 3/5/2003 10:25:56 AM]