Notices

STi Fuel Pumps - Could it be gearing...?

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2003, 08:42 AM
RT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its not fuel pump failure that you're worried about.
Its engine failure due to insufficient fuel. The fuel pump will still be perfectly ok even after the engine has gone pop.
Old 07 March 2003, 10:09 AM
BruceWarne
Scooby Regular

Yeah, well, that's what I mean...not the fuel pump failing, the engine failing 'cause the fuel pump couldn't deliver enough fuel, 'cause the gearing is too long...

What I'm asking is, wouldn't longer gearing require more (instantaneous) fuel during acceleration from low rpm than lower gearing...?
Old 03 July 2003, 07:18 AM
BruceWarne
Scooby Regular

Question

Hi, a shot in the dark, and most probably an ideal showcase for my relative lack of understanding of these mechanical things...

Could the fuel pump (related) failures on UK STi7s be gearing related? Here is SA, our cars have JDM/OZ gearing - 5th and 6th are geared much lower than the UK cars (about 10%).

Now, at cruising this should mean the UK car uses less fuel...but what about during acceleration? Wouldn't taller gearing require more fueling (peak/instataneous) during acceleration than lower gearing...? Like when accelerating on a bicycle...the higher the gear, the harder you have to peddal to accelerate?

I'm just speculating, because we haven't had one STi7 fuel pump failure in SA, even on highly modified cars. (The fact that there's only about 50 STi7 in the country could have something to do with it...)...and the only difference between SA and UK cars I know about is gearing.

[Edited by BruceWarne - 3/7/2003 10:10:32 AM]