Notices

Limp Home - Help - Quick - Please!

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2003, 01:29 PM
PaulRandy93WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Need a spot of help guys, My cars has gone into limp home mode for some reason, the CEL doesn't come on, ive tried resetting the ECU last night and cleaned and tested the boost controller and the car was over boosting this morning, 10psi in first, 12 in 2nd 15 in 3rd and fourth and 17psi in 5th, for the first 3 or 4 miles then it cut the boost down to 7psi again, checked all the pipes for splits etc, they all seem fine. The car is std apart from a pipercross filter and usually runs at about 12psi. Any ideas please??
Old 26 April 2003, 02:08 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi, you'll need to join the two black connectors together under the plastic trim by the lower steering column. The ECU unit will then self diagnose what is actually wrong, by flashing the lights on the instrument panel.

The flashes are coded: a long one [ about 1 second flash] equals a count of ten. Short flashes about .3 of a second count as singles. SO long long long short short short = 33 Geddit?

Somewhere on scoobynet or SIDC you'll find a report telling you what each number relates to, I have them at the office and there's too many to remember, so I can't help further there. But I am sure some clever scoobynetter will post a link on here for you with the page ready to read.

Once you've discovered whats wrong you can go about fixing it.

Good luck David APi Engines
Old 26 April 2003, 03:23 PM
PaulRandy93WRX
Scooby Regular

Cheers David, Ive connected the wires and the CEL indicates no faults!? Also i've just took it for a spin and occasionaly i can hear a relay clicking under the dash as if it's confused, - click-click-click click click-click and the rev counter dips to zero then picks up again. Any other ideas?

Cheers, Paul.
Old 26 April 2003, 07:55 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Paul, tricky one that !! it's a bit beyond me by email, I think the best thing would be to try and identify which relay. But whether you can do that and drive is a bit of a tall order. Can you produce the click click standing still?? For the minute, I can't think of a relevant under dash relay that'll give that problem unless its related to the speed governor.

l'll give it some more thought but hopefully another clever sod will join in and have the solution.

David
Old 28 April 2003, 06:05 PM
PaulRandy93WRX
Scooby Regular

The engine is also stalling when the relay clicks, most of the time it happens when coasting up to junctions, it only seems to go into limp mode on th odd occassion it happens while it's on boost.
Old 28 April 2003, 06:28 PM
RRE
Scooby Regular

I had a simular problem last year, the problem then was oil in one of the celuloide valves attached to the waste gate. I detached it and blew it clean of oil.
The problem then was that the workshop overfilled the engine oil at one of the scheduled services........... I was not very pleased!
Old 29 April 2003, 08:08 AM
willgill
Scooby Regular

I had exactly this problem

we traced it to a loose fitted ecu, check the boards in the ECU to make sure they are all fitted snugly, we reckon it came from abuse from passengers

other things we tried but eliminated were faulty crank & cam sensors.

but your symptons are exactly like mine, especially the clicking thought it might have been an immobiliser problem.

other possible faults could be fuel relay,fuel pump (check the fuel filter in the engine)

Hope they help (none of them are THAT expensive )