Notices

Fuel Pump..:-(

Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2003, 05:47 PM
ATB
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I recently bought a 1994 impreza turbo, i have been getting some chugging under grand in the revs, the other day when i started the car took a good pump at the pedal to get it going, and today when i started it it seemed like it was not letting any fuel through.. anybody had this before...? Got a quote from subaru direct for £75 +vat for a recon'd pump, can any one give me some advice....? Cheers...!
Old 17 July 2003, 06:05 PM
ATB
Scooby Newbie

Angry

Any body help me.... :'(
Old 17 July 2003, 08:29 PM
wanted
Scooby Regular

Not sure if that is the problem m8, but if it is and the car is modified or going to be modified in the future, then you would be better off buying a highflow aftermarket fuel pump as the standard ones on the early cars were pretty crap to start with.

It could be a number of things causing this, but try and be gentle with the car until it's fixed.
Old 17 July 2003, 08:36 PM
ATB
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

The car aint starting at the mo, I had someone look at it who took off the fuel pump hoses into the engine and told me that it was not pumping fuel through.. Any ideas how much an aftermarket or upgraded one would cost...? and where i could get one from...? As for standard, its got a full ss exhaust de-catted and sounds and feels like the boost has been put up on it as i have just recently bought the car... Cheers....
Old 17 July 2003, 08:47 PM
wanted
Scooby Regular

If it were me i would definatly buy an aftermarket one with those mods.When i bought mine i paid over the odds ( about £250 fitted) cos i didn't know any better at the time, but i think you can get one for about £100/£150 but then it needs fitting. It might sound alot but it's a lot cheaper than an engine. I got mine from from TSL in Nottingham but if you have a look in the scooby shop there should be some in there. At least if it won't start then you can't do any damage
Old 17 July 2003, 10:41 PM
ATB
Scooby Newbie

What kinda performance differance should i see with an uprated one....? And thanks for your help ude... ;-)
Old 17 July 2003, 10:50 PM
wanted
Scooby Regular

Wink

No problem.
It isn't a performance mod as such, it's more a preventative one to stop the engine running lean and going bang. With mods such as de-cat the engine is getting rid of the gasses quicker which means it can put the fuel/air in faster. So the demand on the fuel pump is greater, put simply more bhp/speed=more fuel, so it's better to have a pump that is more than up to the job rather than one that is copeing as any small drop in perfomance from a standard pump could make the engine run lean.
When i changed mine i noticed that 4th and 5th gear felt mildley stronger.
Old 17 July 2003, 10:55 PM
ATB
Scooby Newbie

Mate, cheers for your help...! where you larn so much..? Take you have hade a few Scoobs....?

I have had a couple of Turbo's before: Cavy GSI Turbo, Rover 220 GSI Turbo (290bhp - Rapid) and now my scoob... On my Rover with the boost turned right up the turbo really whistles and the waste gate chatters like a WRX Rally car, i know a couple of other guys with scoobs and they dont sound like that...

any ideas...?

Cheers mate, p.s. where you from and what you driving now...?

P.
Old 17 July 2003, 10:56 PM
POC
Scooby Regular

Smile

If you dont decide to upgrade your pump, I have an original STI5 pump in my garage you can have for the cost of postage mate
Old 17 July 2003, 11:01 PM
ATB
Scooby Newbie

I did not quite realize how cool all you dudes here are.....!
I am very greatful of the offer...
I was talking to a guy from Central Subaru who told me to check ma fuel pump and said that there are 5 or 6 differant types depending on car/year etc... Do you know anything about this....?

Again thanks..
Old 17 July 2003, 11:37 PM
wanted
Scooby Regular

ATB,
Everything i know about scoobys i have learned from scoobynet and a few tuners eg TSL,SCOOBYSPORT,EXTREEM SCOOBYS, Most of the guys on here are more than happy to help.
I am on my first scooby, but have been into modifying for a few years, once you get the bug it's hard to stop.
I've got a uk96 with a full de-cat,highflow fuel pump, scooby ecu re-map,k&n panal filter,adjustable dump valve running 16psi at about 260/270bhp.
AS for turning the boost right up, not a good idea without increased fuel to match, wich won't be a problem with an uprated pump.
A friend has a P1 fuel pump on his uk car so i don't see why an sti one shouldn't fit.If you do get one from central ask for the one with the best flow rate.Give someone like scoobysport a ring and ask if it will fit.
Old 17 July 2003, 11:40 PM
wanted
Scooby Regular

You should take POC up on his offer so at least if that isn't the problem it hasn't cost you anything.