Notices

whistling roof bars

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2003, 05:10 PM
Jim from Yateley
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi

We are going away on holiday in a few weeks so I fitted the roof bars (made by Mont Blanc for Subaru) and the whistle like mad at any speed over about 10mph - I've tried fitting the plastic back plates but this made no real difference (plus they look like they will probably just fall off after 1 mile or less)

All I can think of is putting some tape around the mounts etc to try and cover up all fo the holes to stop the noise, but this is going to make removing the bars a bit more difficult and looks even more naff than just fitting the bars

Has anyone else found this to be a problem and found a good solution (other than not to fix the things on the roof) or am I going to have to listen to panpipe music all the way down on holiday?

Help

Jim
Old 21 July 2003, 05:21 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

What MY are we talking here?

I have the OE bars on my '98 UK turbo car, and they make no noise except rushing wind noise at speed.

Are you certain you have them fitted correctly? They are supposed to hook under 4 special brackets hidden by the rain strip, but it's very easy to just get them under the rainstrip, and in that case, they WILL fall off after about 2 miles:
Mine have transported 4 bikes at once over 3000 miles, at speeds of 85+mph
Alcazar
Old 21 July 2003, 05:32 PM
Jim from Yateley
Scooby Newbie

Hi

Mine is a 2002 bug-eye saloon

The bars hook onto some little eye-lets which the dealer fitted onto holes covered by the rubber strip running down the roof - I will doublecheck in case the feet of the bars are causing the rubber to ride up and distrupt the airflow - but driving to work this morning and trying the scientific experiment of putting my hand arount the mount i can reach, this seems to improve things - but I can only test 1/4 of the possible solution, maybe I should get 3 mates to come for a drive to test this further...

maybe I should fit an amp and new speaker - or maybe a louder exhaust?
Old 23 July 2003, 01:53 AM
BarkingMad
Scooby Regular

Thule have recently brought out a range that don't whistle.
Old 24 July 2003, 01:40 PM
Jim from Yateley
Scooby Newbie

Hi

Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I will stick with the bars I have as the car will be going back to the lease company in 18 months - unless I go mad and buy it - will it be a good investiment with 80k miles when it's two years old?

I have discovered if you fit the plates which cover up the release gubbins and then tape over the joins, then it stops the noise - I think I will buy some black tape so it doesn't show up (I experimented with white parcel tape as thats what I had to hand) - I think it might make it difficult to remove the bars without pulling it all off

Thanks

Jim