Notices

Problem that seems to have baffled TSL and Scoobysport

Search this Thread

Old 23 July 2003, 09:28 PM
wanted
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a uk 96 pre-facelift turbo saloon. In first gear and very rarely in second, as the boost comes in and the revs are at about 4k the car has a miss. When i say miss, it is like the boost has been shut off and then put back on again and it is instant, no more than 1/2 a second. The boost on the gauge does not drop but on a select monitor, the ignition advance goes from 25+ down to around 10 then back up again, and as i said this is instant, it is back as quick as it drops. The select monitor was used at TSL but pete at scoobysport said that those figures sound like knock correction but i'm sure it was ignition advance. When it was at scoobysport it didn't show on the select monitor but it didn't feel as bad when i went there so that is probably why. At TSL they changed some parts from a donor car to try on mine, crank sensor, cam sensor, MAF, boost selonoid and inspected the ecu for damage.
Non of these were found to be the problem and i bought an uprated fuel pump which although didn't fix it mine was a bit low on pressure anyway. Although the problem wasn't found i was charged £250 ish labour anyway.
After speaking with Pete croney at Scoobysport, he agreed to have a go at finding the problem, and if he couldn't he would not charge me (being the top bloke that he is).Coil packs were changed, boost selonoid was cleaned and the car was test driven a number of times, but the problem could still not be found and true to his word Pete did not charge me.
Pete is scratching his head, but is still trying to find other possibilities for me, TSL just said "don't know".
The car is no longer standard but has done it even when it was.
The coil packs that Scoobysport tried were new, the parts that TSL tried were from a donor car.
The problem does not happen in the higher gears, or on full boost. If i do a high rev standing start it doesn't do it.
The thing is who do i go to now? as it's doin me head in!
Subaru said they don't know what it is and that it isn't bad anyway so wait and see if it gets worse!!!!
So who thinks they can help or just give some opinions.

Forgot to say that the Knock sensor was swapped at TSL and then the old one was repositioned.

[Edited by wanted - 7/23/2003 9:30:20 PM]
Old 23 July 2003, 09:35 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
inspected the ecu for damage
Was it just visual inspection?.

Why not try another ECU if not?, some kind soul on here will prob lend you one. It might be worth a try

[Edited by jameswrx - 7/23/2003 9:35:43 PM]
Old 23 July 2003, 09:39 PM
wanted
Scooby Regular

Yes it was just visual, I've got a scoobyecu from Mr Wallis wich is a piggyback board so the standard ecu is still used.
If anyone is willing to lend me one I will try anything!
Old 23 July 2003, 09:51 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Apart from your comment on the ignition advance changing markedly, the "miss" sounds like a boost spike hitting the fuel cut.

Since it's only in the lower gears maybe the engine when pushed hard, is increasing revs so fast under the control of the ScoobyECU that the boost solenoid / wastegate etc. can't keep up, hence a boost spike and hence a fuel cut for half a second or so ..

I can only assume that with fuel cut the ignition advance would return to its base level / to what the ECU thinks would be the correct advance for v little fuel and no power / accelerator ?

Take off the ScoobyECU board and solder the link wire ( or flick the switch if you got it done that way ) to use the std map and try again, failing that try another whole ECU unit from a similar/same model and try that.

The other usual suspects didn't seem to fix it then your struggling .. try a diagnostic Rolling Road session ?

Old 23 July 2003, 10:00 PM
wanted
Scooby Regular

I hear what your saying, but as i said before it has done it from standard, well before any mods were done.
As for fuel cut, that has been raised now anyway and max boost 16psi is only reached in 4th and 5th
Old 23 July 2003, 10:18 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had similar and changing the coil packs solved it..

Have you tried adding extra earthing?

JGM
Old 23 July 2003, 10:32 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have seen this problem before.

It sounds very much like a problem I had whilst trying to fit a scoobyecu to an early import. It seems the ECU didn't llike it, despite already having a Jap chip in place prior to the scoobyecu.

In the end I fitted a different ECU and had no problem.

I have also seen problems that are agrivated by more boost, mostly spark related. If you could get to me thaen we can try a few things, like a chipset with lower boost etc.

As to why this is happening, I think there are some models of ECU which just don't like the normal scoobyECU software. I was going to try a version of the japanese software I lifted off the chip in the ECU I replaced, as that may solve the problem.

I am out till after TOTB though. In the meantime I would just join the J1 link on the ECU till it's sorted.

Edit: I just noticed you said it did it when the car was standard too. In that case i would suspect the ignition amp is dying, its the thing under the bracket that holds the boost and presure exchange solenoid, against the drivers side turret.

paul

[Edited by Pavlo - 7/23/2003 10:34:41 PM]
Old 23 July 2003, 11:48 PM
wanted
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

A new idea!!!!! Thanks Paul, will look into it tomorrow.
Old 23 July 2003, 11:57 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive been in this car..

Its not fuel cut its not boost cut, its not a missfire and its not ign correction..

Paul, remember how wierd my boost control was.. sort of went a bit then fooking loads.. its like that but not as bad..

Have played with actuator, wastegate and map..

I have a different (uk) ecu we can try if you want scott?

Like paul though Im busy until after totb.

David
David
Old 24 July 2003, 12:06 AM
wanted
Scooby Regular

Wink

David, nice one m8, I will definatly be up to see you after TOTB

Scott.
Old 24 July 2003, 12:17 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Np..

Youve got my number..

David
Old 24 July 2003, 01:18 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Question

have you replaced the dump valve with a diferent one? You could have an intermitently sticking/leaking one. This could play havock with the Engine if its sticking then judering shut.
Old 24 July 2003, 01:25 AM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

I would give the ECU swap a go, i had the same prob with my WRX originally.. Power engineering swapped the ECU and the prob went.
They did charge me a most disgusting price for the ECU but it worked..

Rob

also.. they tried there 'Phase one' chip on my original ecu and the prob remained.
Old 24 July 2003, 09:29 AM
wanted
Scooby Regular

Johnfelstead, I have just had a new one fitted.

Tweenierob, it seems to be one of the few things that hasn't been replaced. I'm gonna try the ignition amp first and then the ecu.