Peanuts
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive got,
H&S downpipe (open neck)
Magnex (resonated) centre section
Magnex (round 3.5") silencer
Green cotton filter thingie
Boost gauge (cheers rich-tee for the hassle free sale)
I loved the sound before DP and gauge went on, now it seems a little more raspier and Im not so keen. Can definately hear the boost more now, Sorry, I know its meant to be the bollocks but Im not convinced. Big thanks to Jamie Maccy`Ds for help (and yer Pa!!) but we checked it out and there were no leaks.
I am now thinking about going back to standard DP and forgetting the remap
Help me please because I really liked the unassuming nature of my Scooby before (*although it was a little more throaty after centre)and I like the power gain but not the new noises.

Peanuts.....
Old 08 August 2003, 12:07 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

I know what you mean about the noise...
The H&S DP is among the best of the performance DPs, but is quite noisy! DPs do tend to make things raspier - the only one I know of that keeps the sound mellow is the extremly expensive BPM (also one of the top performers!) but it's also 3" straight-through, hence screws up the Magnex which I suspect is 2.5"?
Wrapping the DP can make quite a difference - smooths it all off a bit. That might be worth a go!
Not sure what you mean by hearing boost more now? If you mean turbo noises, you're stuck with them! If you mean exhaust noise when on boost, then you can do something. It's possible to get a very quiet - yet good-flowing - exhaust if you want one. I don't know any 'off the shelf' performance ones (Remus does, but it can become restrictive over around 280bhp from my readings/guestimates), but a hand-make exhaust manufacturer such as H&S can make one up exactly how you want one if asked. And shockingly cheaply, I must say! (Just got a 3" straight-through made up by them for £250+VAT which I'd put as almost as quiet as the standard system; perfect - for me, anyway ).
I can tell you now, you'll really not like the car very mcuh if you go back to having a cat - it's pants, really!
Old 08 August 2003, 12:09 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think that will be down to the backbox Peanuts. I put a Power Engineering one on with centre sports cat only, no resonator. With the downpipe (PE also) heatwrapped it has a deep note which is nice to hear without being too loud and raspy.

Les
Old 08 August 2003, 12:27 PM
Rich Tee
Scooby Regular

m8, its a big play off between performance and sound, the downpipe is a lot noisier, and you will hear the whistle of the turbo etc, with the centre and back its gonna be a massive difference in sound, you do get used to it (and learn to love it ) change the downpipe back then you might as well just keep the back box !!

you could try wrapping it may reduce the noice a bit

Rich

p.s. glad your happy with the boost gauge, try and get it reading 1.5 bar

Old 08 August 2003, 03:14 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys,
might give the wrapping a go.
The boost noises I mean are the whistling from the turbo is much more pronounced and I can hear the DV now much more.
I dont want to go back but I dont want not love the car IYKWIM??
Re: boost gauge, I am getting about 0.9bar in 4 th and 5th,
0.8 bar in 1st 2nd and 3rd
and normal cruising is about -0.65 bar, all 0k readings??

Peanuts....
Old 09 August 2003, 01:28 PM
JamieMacdonald
Scooby Regular

1 bar = 14.5 psi

0.9 = 13.1 psi

Does it peak at 0.9 then settle a bit lower, or peak above 0.9 then settle at 0.9 (held boost)?

Either way these figures are, I believe, normal ! Might be worth cleaning out all the boost solenoid pipes with brake cleaner as described in loads of other threads - gave me an extra 2 psi (but then I got the Dawes which gave me even more )!

Getting used to the sound yet?

J