Notices

Check Engine Light - help please

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2003, 10:01 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The CEL has just popped up on my MY02 WRX (its only just over a year old dammit).

Reading other posts there seems to be a couple of wires under the dash that I need to connect and then the CEL will flash a number of times indicating a code that I can check.

Most of the dash is sealed, so where are these wires? Near the pedals or somewhere else? What colour are they? Any help on me finding them would be appreciated. Oh plus a link to the codes, I see it regularly, but don't have it bookmarked.

Thanks
Old 10 September 2003, 12:55 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Sorry, this trick won't work on the new shape cars, they don't have the connectors you need. Only way of reading the CEL codes on these cars is with an external device. Select Monitor, SECS, DeltaDash etc. etc.
Old 10 September 2003, 01:34 PM
swisscooby
Scooby Newbie

Question

How long has the light been up for?
Old 10 September 2003, 02:03 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Miniman

If its only a year old, just pop it straight into your dealer as the car is under warranty.

Its most likely a sensor gone down and they will have stocks of the ones that fail most frequently.
Old 10 September 2003, 02:15 PM
swisscooby
Scooby Newbie

Talking

Yep Pete's right, warrenty will cover any work that needs to be done.Take it down to the dealer and let them check it over.
Just had a load of work done on mine,(You can read about it in this section dated 9-9-03 under "info that might help") they changed cam sensor, then O2 sensor then Air flow meter and exhaust joints over a few weeks to try and sort the problem, now she is finally back to her self. And all done Free of charge!!

So get it in.
Old 09 October 2003, 04:41 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

Its up for its 20k service so I phoned the dealer this morning. But it came up was after they closed last night and I was a bit worried. it was only on for about 4 miles, before I parked it for the night.

Looked under the bonnet this morning in the light and found the coolant level was low and also the oil was low.

Coolant doesn't bother me so much, but I'm regularly putting more oil in it, last time was only about 1 month ago. I think out side of normal services (when they must check oil), I've put about 4/5 litre into it since I got it. It's doesn't seem to have a leak or smoking/burning too much, but its getting through some.

Either way, the light went off after that so it was one of them.

Anyone got any advice about the oil?

[Edited by Miniman - 9/10/2003 4:42:13 PM]