Notices

Fragile engines? Big ends?

Search this Thread

Old 19 September 2003, 02:15 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are the new sti8 engines fragile?
This will be my first scooby, if I get the sti8 that is. Just wondering are the engines fragile, cos I've read that the engines have narrow big ends that can't take serious punishment.
Any Tech guys know if the engines are fragile if I run 300hp?

Dipster
Old 19 September 2003, 03:07 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

If you read somewhere that driving your car over a cliff would improve its acceleration, would you try it?

Things you read here and there aren't necessarily correct, and in this case it sounds as though you may have read something that has its grounds in fact, but has either been misinterpreted, or you've misinterpreted it yourself.

It is true that these engines have narrower bearing areas than on most inline engines of equivalent displacement/output. However, to say that they are unable to take "serious punishment" is clearly wide of the mark.

The range-topping Japanese market cars have been producing in excess of 300bhp in standard trim for a number of years now. There are many cars clocking up well in excess of 100,000 miles with complete reliability, while there are enough people here running in excess of 400bhp reliably to indicate that these engines are stronger than you seem to be thinking. Also don't forget that the WR Cars use the same basic engine design with the same space available for the bearings, and they don't seem to fail very often...

There is more than enough empirical evidence to suggest that the EJ20 is largely reliable if power is achieved properly, and that simple guidelines are followed (using a correct grade of fuel, monitoring knock if modifying, changing oil correctly etc.).
Old 19 September 2003, 04:04 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Looks like I've added 2 and 2 and got 3.
Thanks for the informed reply.

Dipster
Old 19 September 2003, 04:22 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Well I have run my car with a weedy 340-350bhp for 50,000 miles now - and have done over 60,000 miles altogther with no problems at all.

Little oil usage - lots of abuse on road and track.

Seems to be fine. The big killer is det, the other killer is using poor oil and not changing it enough. Personally I regularly refill with Motul 15/50 300v.

There are a huge number of UK and Sti cars now running 300bhp plus.

Rannoch