Notices

help please

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2003, 06:07 PM
binxta350
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

need help please just drained the coolant from the car by the radiator,refilled it and now it's heating up when driven.Is their any where to bleed it,is their an air lock please,please can somebody help me
Old 21 September 2003, 06:15 PM
caz1562
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

The way I've done it.........

Derek's DIY guide to bleeding the cooling water system :-

The capacity is around 7 litres. From a drained system begin to fill via the water expansion tank (situated on left of engine when looked at from the front). You need to slowly fill allowing the air to expell from the same point. To help do this you can squeeze the bottom radiator hose( bottom right of engine) to help the water fill. Continue doing so until no more water is required to fill the tank. I normally get someone to start the car and I'd stand with water jug ready to top up as soon as the circulation starts. You can gently rev the engine using the throttle butterfly in middle of engine and top up at the same time, as soon as no more water can be added continue to hold the rev's and re-fit the metal cap THEN ease off the throttle. That should be the system topped up. To earn on the side of caution, monitor level over the next 2-3 journey's.

Some people may also remove the top radiator hose & fill using a hose until over-fill, replace hose THEN continue to fill via the expansion tank.

As I mention above, doing it this way does ensure that the entrapped air is removed, and it's worked every time I've done this task.
Old 21 September 2003, 06:21 PM
binxta350
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I ran the engine when i topped it up wiil try through the hose
Old 21 September 2003, 06:47 PM
binxta350
Scooby Regular

hi again when i drained it from the rad there didn't seem to be 7.5liters come out dose the block hold water to.Done the hose thing just asking before firing her up???
Old 21 September 2003, 06:59 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Why start two threads on the same subject?

You didn't refill with water alone did you?
Old 21 September 2003, 07:35 PM
mr smash
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

ok only fill it up from the metal filler cap on resivour, not the expansion tank on front right of engine bay[add 2litres of antifreez 2 as this is also a anti corisive agent not just 2 stop it freezing.when rersivoure is full reach down and squees hoses 4 awile as this will help dislodge some of the air pockets.now start engine and alow it 2 warm up 2 temperature the water will only circulate when its hot and the thermostat opens [an indication of this is the rad fan comming on[or more acurately feel hoses 1 will get hot but other will stay cool,ish [watch ur hands while engine is running]when thermostat opens both hoses will be hot.once this happnes check level again 2 make sure and replace filler cap.finaly check again after short jurney 2 make sure ..hope this helps
Old 21 September 2003, 08:02 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Two litres of coolant is not enough. At minimum there should be a 50/50 mix of coolant and water, ideally a little more coolant than H20...

Trending Topics

Old 21 September 2003, 08:06 PM
caz1562
Scooby Regular

ok only fill it up from the metal filler cap on resivour
Thats where I refer too above, left had tank as you look at the engine from the front
Old 21 September 2003, 09:32 PM
binxta350
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

everyone sorted it now and no i wasn't going to fill it with just water i did it 50/50 again thanks