Notices

Holding back!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2003, 10:29 PM
Gonza
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have a 94 uk which is totally standard apart from H&S back box. I'm not sure whether it is just me but it feels as though when i'm accelerating that the car is holding back on me. The reason this feels wierd is that sometimes it flies then other times holds back????? I get this impression mostly in third gear. Could this be as too much pressure is building up and getting blocked up somewhere or is this normal?

Tomorrow I shall be taking a look under the bonnet and checking any pipes for blockages. Not being the most technical minded person to attempt checking this, is there anywhere I should check first and where do I start, or if in fact I even need to? Also, could this even be due to something else?

Any help would be much appreciated,

Rich
Old 23 September 2003, 10:58 PM
Gonza
Scooby Regular

Seems I should have read some of the other posts on this board. As i'm new to this world of Subaru, what is a "knock link", and could this be the problem? Don't get me wrong though, the car still flies in comparison to my diesel but just want to make sure everything is running right and that no long-term damage is done.

Many thanks
Old 24 September 2003, 09:02 AM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

...the car still flies in comparison to my diesel
I should flipping well hope so!

The knock link is a device that you connect to your block, just under the intercooler, that monitors for "knocking" coming from the combustion chamber. Do a search, or click here for more information. I only fitted mine this morning, so I can't give you any more info yet!

Regards,

Ade.
Old 24 September 2003, 11:41 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs down

"Knock Link" is solely a monitoring device attached to the engine to listen for, and warn the driver of, sounds of knock, pinking, det(onation), call it what you will.

It can't be causing the problem you stated.
I'd be inclined to start witha look at the air filter, and work back from there.
Alcazar
Old 24 September 2003, 12:15 PM
Gonza
Scooby Regular

Many thanks for your thoughts guys. I shall check this evening, although I did replace the air filter only 200 miles ago, nothing fancy though, just straight replacement. Just for information, is there any pipes which I shouldn't touch or steer clear of?

Once again, thanks for help and explanations.

Rich
Old 24 September 2003, 03:47 PM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

Talking

what is a "knock link", and could this be the problem?
"Knock Link" is solely a monitoring device attached to the engine to listen for, and warn the driver of, sounds of knock, pinking, det(onation), call it what you will. It can't be causing the problem you stated.
I'm guessing Gonza was asking if "knocking" was the problem, not the fact he hadn't got a Knock Link...

I'm guessing you haven't got a boost gauge, so you can't check your boost pressure. You haven't got a Knock Link, so you can't check if it's knocking. You probably haven't got an AFR meter, so you can't check what your mixture's doing...

I'm not too sure what to suggest! You could take it to a Subaru dealer, and get them to run a diagnostic on it. Quick and easy, save you messing about.

You could check the label on your ECU. If it reads...

AE802

...welcome to the hesitation club!!! I'm joking though, it won't.

Regards,

Ade.