Notices

Speedo range/calibration

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 1999, 12:35 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suspect that my car is already de-restricted, it has been chipped apparently by Project X in Japan? Is it likely that de-restriction would have been part of the process?

The speedo calibration runs around to 180Kph the car is pulling hard and gaining speed at a high rate way past this mark.

If as seen in other postings, this is the case, am I correct in thinking that there is a switch, adjustment whatever, to alter the range at which the speedo needle swings and a new clock face, with Mph scale which will give accurate readings up to and above speeds of 160?. (Calibration wise of course, I don't mean that's how fast I want to drive)

Is all I need a new clock face and an adjustment to give me an idea of road speed?

[This message has been edited by Mike Tuckwood (edited 01-02-99).]
Old 14 February 1999, 12:35 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Somebody point me in the right direction, looking at Kph continuously may give me a dose of the euro's.
Old 15 February 1999, 08:38 PM
subaru manchester
Scooby Regular

MIKE if you fit a new face with mph readings most only read up to 110 mph any way with the face fitted the trip counter will still clock up kmh,we fit a converter between the gearbox and speedo this will let you keep your original face with 180 kmh and this will now read mph and trip in mph a little sticker fits over the kmh .
peter, ps the car is delimeted.
Old 16 February 1999, 08:52 AM
Frank Quin
Scooby Regular

Mike,
This might not help much but I'm right now getting my (NZ new)MY99 turbo fitted with mph stickers to go inside the kph numbers, so as to satisfy UK's SVA rules when I bring the car to England in April. I have been told by the relevant dept (whose name escapes me at present!) that stickon numerals are acceptable.
The difference from yr situation is that on the "standard" turbo, pretty much everywhere on the planet except UK, the speedo goes to 260kph! But it should surely be possible to position stickon mph numerals on a 180kph speedo so as to more or less accurately track the actual road speed once the governor has been deactivated? Thereby saving the cost of a new speedo unit, which I imagine are not cheap.
Then you'll just be left with the odometer reading in ks, but think how useful that'll be when you cross the channel! And anyway, its kinda weird that UK still measures distance in miles but sells its gas in litres - a drag for working out fuel consumption I should think.
Old 16 February 1999, 12:34 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Peter, please excuse me for not getting back to you earlier.

Can you let me know the cost of the conversion that you talk about.

Does you last comment in your posting above mean that my car is already de-restricted which I am certain that it is?

If so does that make the conversion you describe any cheaper? Is the conversion easy to fit or would the car have to come to you?

Hopefully the cost may fall within my recently severely dented financial capabilities,

Kindest Regards

Mike.
Old 21 February 1999, 10:29 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Subaru manchester.

Peter, This site has been very busy, so I have slid myself back up to the top of the list.

If you can clarify the queries above, I will speak to you imminently about the speedo conversion.

Cheers.
Mike.