Notices

Boost Gauge Installation

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 1999, 11:04 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have bought a boost gauge from PTS, and a gauge pod from Power Engineering. The pod allows the gauge to be installed in the far right hand corner of the dash, between the the windscreen and the a-pillar. The pod is in the eyeline of the driver, and doesn't require contorting to read it!

The problem I have at the moment, is where to I connect the gauge pipe to? I can splice a current pipe to feed it as I have a t-piece, but I was told that the rubber blank on the engine manifold under one of the ignition leads would be better.

I have been told this by two people, but neither own Subaru's! Can anyone confirm this, or is there somewhere else I should be taking the feed from?

Thanks in advance
Andy
Old 05 June 1999, 10:12 AM
chrisd
Scooby Regular

Andy, I have a VDO boostgauge installed on my car and I use the spare pipe from the manifold ,the one you describe (right hand side,under ignition coil pack).And I do own a Scooby. bye
Old 05 June 1999, 11:33 AM
Rob C
Scooby Newbie

Andy

If you really want your scooby to go quicker just ditch all that ICE you have cluttering the boot, I'll give you a tenner for it!

Thanks for the ride last saturday at PE and happy plumbing.

Regards WRX MY99 Cool Grey
Old 05 June 1999, 01:16 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Thanks Chris. I just needed a Scooby driver to tell me that I was doing the right thing!

Rob, errr... call it £20 and it's all yours!!
Old 05 June 1999, 07:46 PM
DavieR
Scooby Regular

I've also been told that the spare plug on the manifold is better than using the T-piece.
Old 05 June 1999, 09:47 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Thought I'd let everyone know how I got on with the install of the guage and pod!

The pod's 52mm hole was a bit tight for the PTS boost gauge. Had to get the glass paper out to make it a bit bigger. It was literally fractions of a millimetre out, but still it was a pain!

When the guage fitted in the hole, the illumination bulb holder is too long for the pod. Easily fixed by cutting 5mm of the metal bulb holding tube.

Next problem, how to feed the tube into the engine bay. Stripped the lower dash, and fed the supplied tube down to below the steering wheel. Rummaged in the bonnet and under dash for a free grommet. Found one by accident! It comes out just below all the brake pipe, near to top left of the engine bay, when looking head on.

Ahhhhhh...the tube isn't long enough to reach the free plug on the manifold!! Have to see if I can get some on Sunday!

I haven't even started looking at wiring up the bulb! Can I take the feed from the cigarette lighter illumination?

All (polite) suggestions welcome!

Thanks in advance

[This message has been edited by Andy Tang (edited 05-06-99).]
Old 05 June 1999, 10:00 PM
dmel
Scooby Regular

Is it the case that no boost gauge tube matches exactly the port at the inlet manifold?
I am particularly interested in the VDO one mentioned by Chrisd, but also from others.
Old 05 June 1999, 10:10 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

The tube supplied with the kit is a rigid tube, which has a t-piece connected to it by way of a short rubber tube. Removing the plastic t-piece, will allow the rubber tube will fit the port on the inlet manifold.

The problem is that the rigid tube isn't long enough to reach the port. It's about 50cm too short.

To solve the problem, I plan to get a rubber tube of the same diameter as the short piece. Add it on to the end of the rigid tube, and plumb it to the inlet port.
Old 06 June 1999, 07:22 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

For anyone that's interested, I used an advance/retard rubber tube to extend the rigid pipe, inorder to reach to inlet manifold.

The PTS gauge seems fairly accurate as the gauge shows 15psi peak, and seems to be holding at about 13-14psi. Same as the results from the rolling road session at Power Engineering. See Paul Strong's web page for the rolling road results at:

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~strong/car/dyno/uk/andrew_tang.htm

Now where do I take the feed for the illumination? I daren't take out the stereo, as anyone who has seen my system can imagine the amount of wires and connections behind there!!!

Andy

Old 07 June 1999, 02:15 AM
chrisd
Scooby Regular

Andy,your radio has got a wire for illumination,use that one.
Old 07 June 1999, 10:33 AM
malique
Scooby Regular

ala Max Power?
Old 07 June 1999, 08:18 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Ala max power????

Anyway the bulb is Scotchlock'd to the stereo illumination wires and seems to work well. The bulb lights the dial in an amber/neutral light, so all I need is some of that 'Max Power' bulb tinting paint to get them to shine green.

I'm just waiting for it to get dark to have a play!! Now all I'm missing are so ScoobySport driving lights!

If anyone has any queries about installing a boost guage, please ask! I've been under the dash and bonnet of a MY97 too long already!!

Regards
Andy
Old 08 June 1999, 08:12 PM
chrisd
Scooby Regular

andy,autopartsshops here(holland)sell silicon rubber covers in all colours to put over the bulb .Sort of safe sex/light idea.