Notices

Access to power under digital clock?

Search this Thread

Old 08 October 2003, 01:21 PM
Steve Holmes
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 'Snooper' in my car now, (MY03 STi), and want to loose the coiled power lead that links into the cigarette lighter and feed the power cable through the dash vent or somewhere to lose it. I then want to tap into a 12 v power line if possible.

Does any one know how to best get access to beneath the digital clock area of the dash without damaging it? Does anyone know hopw to wire it also?

Ta
Old 10 October 2003, 01:21 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

Open the cup holder and remove the two fixing screws.

Pull out the whole cup holder assembly (there is a bit that sticks out of the bottom that will have to be 'eased' over the top of the radio surround trim.

You can now pull out the heater vent trim. You will have to pull quite hard, try to pull is straight back (there is a clip on the righthand side that will be quite stiff).

You can now see the space under the clock, if you want to remove the clock assembly and trim, slide your hand under it and feel for the clips, which can be quite easliy released and the clock eased out of the dash.

Best place to pick-up power is off the back of the cigarette lighter, but this will require you to remove the trim around the radio to get at it.

This trim arond the radio is fixed with four sprung clips, which can be released by sliding your fingers under the trim on the top LH edge (below the cup holder), and working your way around the facia (anti-clockwise), easing out the clips progressively. You will then need to unplug the connectors from the air-con module and put it to one side (don't remove the flexible pipe). You will see the cigarette lighter power connector at the back of the hole on the LH side, under the radio.

Hope this helps!

[Edited by dr_ming - 10/10/2003 1:23:08 PM]

[Edited by dr_ming - 10/10/2003 1:28:02 PM]
Old 10 October 2003, 05:34 PM
Steve Holmes
Scooby Regular

Brilliant,

Thanks mate I will try it out over the weekend. Subaru said I would have to take the whole dash board off and that it would take 1.5 days !

Cheers

steve
Old 13 October 2003, 01:09 PM
jwallis
Scooby Regular

When you have removed the clock panel...

The clock has four terminals.
From the top,
- 12V
- 0v
- Light Dimmer signal +12V when lights are on and switch set to Dim, otherwise always 0v
- ACC (12V when ignition on) switches on the clock display

My initial plan was to use the clock dimmer switch on the indicator stalk as an on off switch for 'an accessory' via a relay. (It won't work, because if you wanted to use the switch, you could turn on the device when side lights were on and dimmer switch was set to dim, or by inverting the relay contacts you could turn off the device when side lights were on and dimmer switch set to dim.)

Old 13 October 2003, 10:59 PM
fuz
Scooby Regular

bttt

(fitting gauges soon)