Notices

Upgrade Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06 June 1999, 06:00 PM
Profec
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Chan, my friend upgraded his turbine to the IHI unit which is used in the Sti cars, and he's having a lot of fun with his car and experiencing close sti matching performance.
Old 13 June 1999, 07:37 AM
BPM
Scooby Regular

BPM have bolt on kits for 320HP Garret and 400HP Turbo , these are ball bearing , water cooled and provide excellent driveability and
have had many years of testing in Australia.
The Sti Turbo is only rated at 280HP so you can see there is a significant difference.

Greg
Boost Performance Motorsport
"The ruthless pursuit of speed"
Old 13 June 1999, 09:28 AM
RobJenks
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
AVO in Melbourne Australia have performed extensive testing of a variety of turbos and other performance enhancing modifications.
Refer to;
www.onvic.com.au/motoring/magazine/power/index.htm
Old 13 June 1999, 05:10 PM
DYNT
Scooby Regular

Try and get STI Version 3 Turbocharger and forget about the rest.

All this 320++Bhp turbocharger give a lot of lag. Need High RPM to spool it.
Old 14 June 1999, 08:12 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

BPM,

If you can show me one of those 320bhp turbo's with no lag, on a UK spec car. I will join the queue to buy one!

Andy
Old 14 June 1999, 08:40 AM
Timothy Leuers
Scooby Regular

I am in Japan and wondering about possible upgrades for my WRX.

Someone mentioned "Japanese chips" so I presume that it is not illegal in Japan to change, and deregulate the chip set?? Or do the Japanese chips take WRXs up to, but not over the 280ps limit? I have a non STi WRX 96 wagon ("C" or version 2, I believe) with 220ps (206hp) and wonder I can fit a cheapish new chip to increase the performance to STi (280ps), or at least Saloon standards (240ps).

Even if I changed the chip I would have to increase the ariflow apparently? I don't want a very noisy exhaust but hear that the "Tanabe" is not too noisy. Or does improvements in airflow mean more noise? Some people like noise.

Also, most Japanese boy racers seem to fit blow off ??! valves with a characteristic sound like someone sneezing. Is there a performance increase or do they simply make an interesting noise.

And then there are all sort of new air filters in the local autoparts shop.

Which do I buy first (chip, exhaust, or airfilter?)

With all these discussions is there a definative web site answer?

And another thing.. the two grills on either side of the bonnet are covered over. If cool air (with greater pressure) is a plus, then why are the grills in the bonnet covered over?

The STi seems to have a different, shiny intercooler (mine is black like a normal radiator), and probably different turbo unit. Is this the answer? There are probably available from breakers yards.

Then there is the problem that the engine of the standard WRX is not as strong as the STi, with its different head and stronger pistons. Is the Japanese WRX the same as that used in the UK car, or stronger? Or weaker?

Can one buy the pistons and head block separately? STis are about 40% more than WRX's here (which are pretty cheap - mine was 7500 all inclusive, minus part exchange on an old car). If the engine is an untuned Sti then I might try and tune it, but if it is radically different then there is no point.

I know that there are other strut, suspension and brake differences but, since this is a Turbo upgrade thread...

Old 14 June 1999, 12:46 PM
BPM
Scooby Regular

The lag for the 320HP is negligible and is the ultimate street weapon.
400Hp does start to feel the lag and unless major HP is your aim the 320 is excellent.

Greg Nikolettos
Boost Performance Motoring
UK Marketing Manager
Old 14 June 1999, 05:23 PM
DYNT
Scooby Regular

The IHI STI Version 3 turbocharger details:

Turbo Spec. : VF 24

Serial No. : RHF5 05-451 E

This turbocharger is good for 350bhp with upgred wastegate actuator.Check out OWEN Developement UK. They would be able to help you guys when comes to Turbocharger.

He can even upgred your turbocharger. Errrr.. don't have his number with me right now.