Notices

HELP - OUTSTANDING FINANCE ON MY CAR!...

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2003, 05:01 PM
cinders
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh Dear.....

I bought my car from a local dealer who's website states all cars are HPI checked. When I bought the car I enquired and the guy who sold me it told me they do HPI check all cars, as stated, unfortunately he didn't have the print out and would send me it in the post (I should have realised then....)

Anyway I HPI'd the car today (1 week to late!) and it came back with 1 outstanding finance, to Black Horse as a personal loan, I spoke to Black Horse who stated there is outstanding finance on the car...

I've just spoken to the dealer who said there is nothing to worry about (of course he would), he basically bought the car from Priory Motor Group who had taken in part ex, he claims that Priory should have sorted the finance out with Black horse and haven't.... He reckons he'll be in touch in a tomorrow and will fax me through confirmation that is has been paid off (so he says....)

What should I do? I'm extremely worried my car is going to be repo'd!... Basically isn't it against the law for the garage to state they HPI check all cars when the clearly haven't?

What are my rights? And what should I do now? Am I panicking too soon?!... It was supposed to be getting a tracker + stereo fitted tomorrow, but I don't know whether to go ahead now.

Any ideas/suggestions thoughts ideas would be appreciated.

Matt.
Old 10 October 2003, 05:11 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Red face

Get the details of Priory Motor Group and ring them and get them to confirm they will be settling the finance. If it's moved through the system quickly, they may be settling at the end of the month.

Will at least give you peace of mind if they tell you that they are settling it. I would have thought they should be able to give you the info from the reg of the car or the VIN number. Just explain your situation to them and say you are chasing up for peace of mind.

Can understand it may be a bit of a brown trouser moment though
Old 10 October 2003, 05:23 PM
OdD KiDS OtHeR MatE
Scooby Regular

Whilst this sounds scary and of course it's not my car or money but knowing the HPI site, it can take a few weeks to be updated in anycase. Get written confirmation that the finance will be sorted.

If the car has only just changed hands then it will take a while for funds to move around accounts and get to LLoyds and for them to clear the funds and then to notify HPI that all is well. It's not a fast procedure -and it is the motor trade too. b I should know, I'm in it
Old 10 October 2003, 05:56 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Someone at work went through this. Don't know the full details ATM but I think the car had been sold on with no intention of paying the outstanding finance. Seem to remember that the law protects the buyer of the car and it was all cleared up in the end.
Old 11 October 2003, 12:11 AM
Alpine99
Scooby Regular

we had similar problems with a finance company continuing to take payments on a saab convertible we put is as px. Obviously as part of the deal the dealer was to clear the outstanding finance.. When I finally got to the bottom of it the dealer regularly didn't clear finance until the car sold as they aimed to move them on in a couple of weeks.. As it was a convertible they'd decided to hang on a month until the weather improved and had 'neglected' the finance... All sorted in the end but it was a bit un-nerving.. one to watch out for in future.
Old 11 October 2003, 01:23 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

try useing a 17mm spanner and then a 3/4 wrench

why is this in technical?
Old 11 October 2003, 02:31 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

yes sticky micky that should fix it