Notices

So if I keep it

Search this Thread

Old 22 September 1999, 07:45 PM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

As some of you maybe aware I recently took the plunge and resigned from my last job, without a new one to go to .

This has met with several atempts by me to part with the Scoob, my set of 17"s and the No. plate, all without success.

Benny has been most vociferous in trying to persude me to keep the toy, and looking at my possible future pay package I may just be able to do it.

If I get to keep the car it will be come a second car (well actually a fourth, but we won't go there!) and will get used for high days and Holidays! So further mods will be on the cards.

Basics have been covered (Steering Geometry, wheels, tyres, exhaust and Air Filter) on to the more serious stuff to allow me to really enjoy those trackdays! Question is though in what order, and which will be the best long term. Here are my thoughts on what to do, now I'm asking for your advice as to which order makes the most sense:-

Downpipe
Cat removal
PE Phase 1
MY99 4 Pot Brakes and uprated pads
Brembo, Tarox, AP, Prodrive, Bremsport or Willwood Brakes
PE Phase 1
Leda B suspension or AVO suspension

Obviously these mods will be done over time, and the most cost effective route appeals to the Scot in me!

Thoughts please!

Tim
Old 22 September 1999, 09:41 PM
Mike F
Scooby Regular

i'd have thought suspension(get the ride right)
brakes (need to stop it)
exhaust as a whole(you can get a system with a sports cat !)
finally the phase1(which at present isn't for my99)but dave powers working on it!

regards mike f
Old 22 September 1999, 10:09 PM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

Smile

Mine's a MY98 (September delivery to be precise), so PE Phase 1 is no worries, plus it has now got 22.5 k miles on it, so it is nicely run in!

Cheers,
Tim
Old 22 September 1999, 10:44 PM
Jonathan
Scooby Regular

Cool

Tim

I'd look at a Intercooler kit as well. Someone on the BBS aparently made one from British Leyland parts. Kept the windscreen clean by all accounts .

Now what was the power increase

Jonathan
Old 23 September 1999, 12:23 AM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Ha Ha Jonathan , what happened with the 'Intercooler waterspray' kit has been well covered...

Spare wheels, Got 'em (well 3 at least!).

Exhaust and Filter done (wide and flat torque band on my car over 220 lb/ft from 2500 to 5750 rpm in a lovely smooth line, peak of 235 brake without the infamous water spray - grrrr...)

So it's suspension then brake mods. Further Engine mods last of all. I thought this too. As I understood it if you improve the suspension you also improve the car's braking ability (less dive, better reactions to bumps keeping tyres in greater contact with the road/track surface) so with uprated suspesnion I should improve the brakes somewhat as well!

Still what to go for in the Brake department, I'm tempted by the Willwood set up as it is a bit different to everyone elses' (like my exhaust). Anyone actually fitted their kit yet?

Cheers,
Tim

[This message has been edited by Tim W (edited 23-09-1999).]
Old 23 September 1999, 09:53 AM
Darren Soothill
Scooby Regular

Brakes if you are serious about track days then Brembo fully floating setup.

Suspension Leda B/C

Wheels:-
Get a spare pair and put slicks on them as that will save you the cost of the normal tyres and will give you more grip.

PE Phase 1

You will get more fun from being able to stop and corner faster than you would out of the straight line speed.

Darren
Old 23 September 1999, 11:02 AM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi,

I agree handling and stopping is always first and more important than power. You already have one of the quickest cars on the road. If the car is set up correctly and you drive it utilising it best to these settings, you will be far quicker than most people.

Once you are familiar and comfortable with the car, then look at increasing its power.

so:

1) Brakes (sneak on a scoobysport back box too and air filter)
2) Handling
3) Power (remap, engine work, etc)

Cheers,

J.