Notices

Changing rear cluster

Search this Thread

Old 08 September 1999, 09:58 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Do WRX rear clusters fit on UK spec (99MY) car?

Does the fog light fitted to car just shine through WRX lense?

HELP?

Old 08 September 1999, 11:53 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

The WRX clusters would replace entirely the cluster from the UK car, so would then have no fog light, an after market one would need to be fitted, or the cluster modified to contain one.
Old 09 September 1999, 12:29 AM
mike_nunan
Scooby Regular

I think it's possible to do even better than that. There is an extra reflector assembly behind the red lens in the location where the UK foglight blub lives. If you look on the back of the cluster, you'll see a blanking where the bayonet hole for the bulb holder should be. All you need to do is drill the right-sized hole there, file a couple of notches out for the bayonet lugs, then stick your existing bulb holder in there. Hey presto!

At least, that's the theory. I'm going to try it this weekend, so if you feel like letting me be the guinea pig, I should have more to report on Monday.

-= mike =-
Old 09 September 1999, 01:16 AM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

If you fitted the WRX clusters and need to put on a fog light you can colour the drivers side reversing light with red paint, a spot of wiring, and hey presto a rather neat fog light job. Just try and do a better job with the paint than the importer did with mine, looks good from 6 feet away any closer and you can see the brush marks
Old 09 September 1999, 01:36 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

thanks mike - let me know how you get on!!
Old 13 September 1999, 02:15 PM
mike_nunan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Errrmmm... Didn't get time to attend to this, sorry. I'm definitely going to do it soon tho'

One thing I did notice is that the area that GGR told me to place the bulb is in the same compartment as the brake light. Now, they say that cars with this modification have passed SVA and MOT, but I'm concerned that the brake light and fog light are supposed to be "separate lights" according to the law.

I'm going to modify the cluster and see what the lights look like before I take the UK-type ones off. If they don't look "separate enough" I'll let you know...

-= mike =-
Old 13 September 1999, 07:30 PM
pwebb
Scooby Regular

Mike + others,
I had C+K in Manchester put a red 80w bulb in the RHS reversing light and wire it up to a pukka subaru switch on the dash (with orange led just like in uk cars) + relay... thus no need for red 'paint' on the lens - looks neat (way better than the crappy fog light put on the rear by the importer for the sva test) but apparently may not be far enough away from existing tail lights/brake lights for the MOT. I will run this risk as it is a much neater job - ONLY drawback is that 'helpful' types will flag you down to tell you <I>''you've only got one reversing light working mate''</I> - such is life.

cheers,

Paul W
Old 22 September 1999, 03:20 PM
mike_nunan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Update:

Having made a hole in the back of the lighting unit, there are now little bits of black plastic swarf that have crept around between the lighting unit and the reflector and seem nigh-on impossible to move. The unit is sealed with loads of adhesive, so there's no way to take it to bits to clean it up. Maybe an blowing it out with an airline will clear it, but I suspect that will just stir them around as there no "out hole" for the air to blast the bits out of.

The whole thing looks a bit of a mess, and I'm now sorry I didn't either do the reversing-light changeover or just fit a small foglight below the rear bumper (I've seen some very neat ones - anyone able to recommend?)

Anyway, hope you haven't tried yours yet, Gary!

-= mike =-
(With dead guinea pig)
Old 22 September 1999, 03:35 PM
ransj
Scooby Regular

Mike,

What I did with mine was to get one of the small 'LED strip' type secondary brake lights from Halfords. The one I got wasn't waterproof so I sealed it up with some silicone sealant.

I mounted the lamp under the OS bumper as its only about 15mm deep and 150mm wide it doesn't stand out visually.

I had the MOT done last week and it went through fine.

Simon
Old 22 September 1999, 09:54 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

thanks for the warning!!!
Old 23 September 1999, 11:32 AM
mike_nunan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for the tip, Simon. I'm off to Halford (again!) on Saturday - my girlfriend's gonna love it, I can tell
Old 26 September 1999, 09:37 PM
Stuart Page
Scooby Regular

Hey Simon! Got a piccie of the light on your bumper??? I Would be interested in how it looks!
Stu.