Notices

ECU- reset

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 1999, 12:33 AM
Orville
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is only my opinion but I wouldn't bother with thw ECU reset on a 99 car. It makes very little difference (if any) on my MY99 even after an immediate thrashing. I think the MY99 ECU continually adjusts boost and timing to its optimun level. The real difference most people notice seems to be the change from 95 to 98 RON fuel. The engine does idle better and feel slightly more responsive when SUL is used.
Old 12 October 1999, 12:49 AM
Bob Rawle
Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry but this is all wrong ... the ecu reset just puts the default settings of the ecu back into use, thrashing it on boost does nothing at all except to put the engine at risk if it had previously retarded itself due to knocking !! Its not possible to "set" the boost like this.

The battery needs disconnecting for long enough to allow any caps to discharge on the pcb. 20-30 mins is more than enough as there are no large values there. Drive the car in a varied way afterwards for about 25 miles. It will carry on learning after that as well.

If the ecu had retarded the timing/boost due to knock then it will only do it again. If no benefit is felt then there was nothing wrong with at to start with.

It is best to run more than one tank of SUL through to purge the UL.

Just putting 98 in will allow the ecu to adapt anyway, just a bit more slowly.

Later ecu's are more responsive than earlier ones IMHO
Old 12 October 1999, 10:07 AM
paulc_percival
Scooby Newbie

Question

Is it worth getting the ECU reset at the 1000 mile service on my 99 Impreza Turbo? I have been running on 95RON during the running in period. My car goes in this evening, so any advice on what I should do would be welcome. The dealer is happy to reset the ECU, so should I let him, then run the car on 98RON when I pick the car up?
Old 12 October 1999, 10:11 AM
James_Harvey
Scooby Regular

Only do a reset when on your third tank of SUL. Any NUL in the system will affect the outcome.

On reset, you must drive the car under as much boost as possible, left foot braking etc, to get the best outcome.

It is debateable wether there is much difference though... if you have been running on 95ron, there should be some.

Incidentally, disconnecting the battery for an hour will also reset the ECU.

James.