Notices

Should i or shouldnt i?

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2003, 03:50 PM
T2000PPP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My MY00 is standard apart from ppp,but im now looking for a bit more.
Ive seen a high flow sports cat downpipe id like,along with an induction kit,all to aid breathing,therefore increasing bhp and torque me think?
But i have some questions regarding this.Will my ecu cope with these changes as the ppp is supposed to be carefully matched together? Am i right in assuming my car will still pass the mot? And is the performance increase gona be worth the cash?cus it aint cheap.Please help me make my mind up.
Old 21 October 2003, 09:07 PM
LB4
Scooby Regular

I think you would get better results from a de cat downpipe and leave the standard filter in place, plus its a cheaper way.
Not sure though how a PPPd ECU would be with a fully decatted exhaust.

Gary
Old 21 October 2003, 09:09 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

T2000PPP

You're right, the high flow sports cat isnt cheap the reason being that you get the performance of the de-cat but retain the cat to aid in the pass of your emissions

With the PPP it depends if you have it custom mapped to your car. for eg. if its Ecutek Map 3 then this should be mapped to your car and you may lose out on any performance gains you may have with the dp now in place.

If its an "off the Shelf" ecu then i doubt it really makes any difference than any other Scoob with the dp done.

I think i'm right but i'm sure someone wll tell me/you if i'm wrong
Old 21 October 2003, 11:54 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

As the others have said, a full decat downpipe would give you noticeably better performance. Don't bother with an induction kit, stick to the K&N or Green panel filter.

If you do go for a decat/sports cat, it'd be worth fitting a boostgauge and KnockLink if you haven't already done so, as there's a small (but it happens occasionally) risk of transient overboost on a '99-00 decatted PPP.
Old 22 October 2003, 03:17 PM
T2000PPP
Scooby Regular

Thanks,this is all good advice.
In the meantime ive spoken to someone at Graham Goode who have said exactly as is greasemonkeys post above.
Really it comes for me to decide between de-cat or sports-cat,and a big factor for me is the hassle of anually swopping for the mot.Mechanically im useless and i know the labour costs soon mount up.
Old 22 October 2003, 03:29 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

LOL I think you've just answered your own question
Old 22 October 2003, 03:42 PM
T2000PPP
Scooby Regular

Yep.Sports cat.
Knocklink or boost guage.Which do you think i should get first,and why?