Notices

airbag HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2003, 12:08 AM
west lothian scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

i need your help please. i need to disable the pasenger side airbag to fit a rearward faceing child seat. I called dealer to see if they could do this for me but they said that they dont know how to and that they couldnt do this any way as it would affect my insurance (personal accident claims)I dont see how this can be the case as other manufacturers have cut-out mechanisms fitted to there cars. However dealer did say i could try removing the fuse for the air bag instead, but they couldnt tell me which one, so i need your help.In the manual there are two fuses for air bags( No 6 srs airbag and No11 engine ignition system and srs airbag)but which one is for the passenger airbag? obviously if it is No 11 i cant remove it, but i need to be sure that it is No6, as soon to be born childs safety depends upon it.

sorry for rambling on but as i said childs safety depends on it, any help that anyone can give will be very much appreciated.
thanks in advance

[Edited by west lothian scooby - 10/23/2003 12:15:05 AM]
Old 23 October 2003, 11:07 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Hi WLS

For your own, and your childs safety do not mess with the srs system,, given that the new systems are very sophisticated ,, weight and time factoring deployment sequences that are all linked into the srs systems ecu... if one bag cannot be isolated ie the passenger bag ,, do not attemt to bypass or tamper with the system.. the only effective way would be to have the dealer disconnect the whole system. you can do this as you may not want to have an air bag system fitted, however, the downside is that your insurance company may take a dim view..

cant you put your small person in the back.. i know if its a two door its a pain ... but the saftey aspect outweigh the risks

Mart
Old 24 October 2003, 04:49 AM
Stuart Page
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Agree with Mart, don't mess with the systems by playing with fuses. If it deactivated the airbags, your driver airbag probably will not go off if needed in a frontal accident and you would be 'fecked' by the insurance company.

If you must disconnect the passengher airbag, the only safe way it to do it is to disconnect the battery, leave the car 10 mins, and take out the connector plugged into the airbag itself. You must use a resistor 'bridge' plug on the harness conenctor and tape up the airbag side conenctor to avoid any contamination. This means the airbag warning light will not come on due to a detection of a broken circuit. (Resistor value you will need to find out somehow).

This method if you follow it, is at your own risk. Maybe the dealer will assist if you sign a disclaimer, but think of the implications is an adult was in the seat if you removed the child seat, just for a quick lift to the shops or something, it will leave you personally liable.