Notices

decat -mot-prices

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2004, 07:12 PM
scoobynson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im running scorpion decat centre and magnex backbox . mot due soon will it fail emission?
also thinking of doing downpipe.
got chance of a used magnex decat downpipe, how much should i pay ?and if i put it on and centre cat back on will it pass?
Old 10 January 2004, 08:08 PM
Scooby Brother
Scooby Regular

I have a full de-cat on MY01 and it passed it's MOT yesterday. Np probs with the emissions.

SB
Old 11 January 2004, 01:13 AM
diogenese
Scooby Newbie

Most new cars should pass cat testing without a cat if they are in peak condition. the limits pretty wide really! If you are running non standard ecu's you may well have a problem though
Old 11 January 2004, 11:39 AM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

As diogenese says, they do vary. Normally though, if they do have the front cat (downpipe), they will normally pass. Removing this will more than likely cause it to fail an emissions test. Although most people try to find a friendly MOT tester who will overlook this.

Some MOT testers would like to see you actually have a cat downpipe by you having it in the boot - strange, but true.

As with any car though, it could fail even if you had all the cats in there
Old 12 January 2004, 06:51 PM
blitz imp reza
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Scoobynson if you have the standard catted downpipe in at the moment it should pass no problem, mine just scraped through with centre cat only which is less efficent for reducing emissions than the downpipe cat. MY 96 uk with remap and full exhaust system.
If it is an early model I dought very much that it will pass MOT with both cat's removed, one yes but not both.

[Edited by blitz imp reza - 1/12/2004 6:54:49 PM]
Old 12 January 2004, 11:48 PM
diogenese
Scooby Newbie

As mentioned by highlander keeping the old cat MAY help if your car is a bit close to the limit.

if the emmisions are the only snag and the rest of the car is A1 then a friendly mot tester might let you off, especiall if he can see you still have the correct cat. he WILL be breaking the law though

A MOT test is only really valid the moment the car is presented for test, if you change the exhaust, wheels, No. plates etc. the moment you left the garage the MOT is still valid as the car was OK at the time it was tested. keeping the cat might help you get an mot but it won't help if you get pulled by the law on a roadside emmisions test