Notices

Strange noise

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2004, 04:44 PM
Stonkin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange noise

If anyone can help with this i would me much appreciated, starnge noises are very difficult to explain but i will try.

Havent noticed it when cold, but when the car is idling and your standing outside, although it can be heard inside with the window down, i can hear almost like the sound of popcorn in a microwave coming from under the car, stand by the drivers door and kneel down and listen under the car, seems to be around the exhaust section, that probably doesnt help much, but any ideas, gonna take it to a local place to listen to this weekend (SGT in taplow) hopefully they wont charge, just want someone top pop out and have a listen. Sounds like a 'metallicy' noise, bit like when you turn the car off an you can hear the engine tapping away whilst cooling down, can here it when driving as the exhaust is to loud, only when idling,

please help,
Old 06 February 2004, 04:46 PM
Stonkin
Scooby Regular

i meant cant here it when driving as the exhaust is to loud, only when idling,
Old 06 February 2004, 05:08 PM
Scratch
Scooby Senior

Is your car fitted with a decat downpipe ?

My car now makes this pinging noise after fitting the downpipe. If it is, this is normal and is due to the fact that the stainless downpipe is thinner and it is simply ringing due to the passage of the exhaust gas.

Otherwise it could be the exhaust is blowing from the flexible joint between the mid section and the downpipe as this is a bolted flexible connection. Maybe your seal that goes in there has failed ?
Old 06 February 2004, 05:15 PM
Stonkin
Scooby Regular

hi, standard downpipe fitted, not for long i hope though! sure it is somethign to do with exhaust
Old 06 February 2004, 06:22 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Don't forget that the exhaust will be cooling down when at idle compared with when driving, so just as with the engine switched off, the exhaust could be making its cooling down ticks and pings! It's all the heat shielding around the standard system (mention is made of the noise in the handbook)
JohnD