Notices

Flamer Kits ?

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2004, 11:07 PM
rayman_2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Flamer Kits ?

Has anyone fitted one of these kits ? pro's and cons please...how effective are these ?

Old 25 February 2004, 11:10 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Pro's none

Cons - you will look like a sad boy racer

They will work quite well, as scoobs do run a bit rich so plenty of unburnt fuel out the back.

I personally think they are seriously seriously sad, and should be banned along with fog lights, neon light kits, and those bloody lit up washer jets.

Help the scoob keep a semi reasonable image and dont bother

MB
Old 26 February 2004, 10:35 AM
sunyue
Scooby Regular

I got one , but doesn't working,,hehe, if you got a my01, I think you may fit it after remap ECU
Old 26 February 2004, 10:43 AM
Gidney&Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

Completley effective with full decat & VTA dumpvalve, completely illegal for road use....
Old 26 February 2004, 10:51 AM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

DBM, you missed neon tyre valve caps - what they called now? Tireflys or something ******* stupid like that. Yeah, they're mint as well...
Old 26 February 2004, 11:49 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Ahh forgot those Also they do those spinning things that spin on the wheels when you're stopped. Bling bling baby

Sorted innit mate

MB
Old 26 February 2004, 12:06 PM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

Aiieeet, west side. Ahh, the youth of today...

Trending Topics

Old 26 February 2004, 03:33 PM
rayman_2
Scooby Regular

Wink

cheers for the replys, looks like this mod can wait for a very very long time !!!!!

Old 26 February 2004, 03:39 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Definitely. Put it in the same category as a vent-to-atmosphere dumpvalve - posing value only!
Old 26 February 2004, 04:29 PM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

Good choice
Old 26 February 2004, 07:03 PM
sti-spec-a
Scooby Regular

If you can get flames out the exhaust without a flamer kit then its respected

Cheers Grant

Expect to see a lot more of them Tirefly things as they free are in this months "SH*TCAR"
Old 27 February 2004, 09:02 AM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

Mint... That sums them up really, if they're freebees with a car mag...
Old 27 February 2004, 10:33 AM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Angry One for the other side of the coin

<RANT ON> I have a flamer kit and I love it and so do 99% of folk who see it. In fact the only people I know who don't like them are the saddo's on here that can't have fun unless it involves science or some other ****, figure bashing boredom!
The scoob is getting/has got a boy racer image. Fact. If your car is standard, you are frowned on as boring by some and ignored by others ('Cos you ain't a real enthusiast apparently )
The same people who have a go about Flame kits, dump valves, gold wheels, Big spoilers etc being MAX POWER are the same people who sit in the corner of pubs on thier own reading the paper. Quiet shy BORING people.
I wanted my scoob to be as overt as possible, I'm proud of it, Its got most of the typical things done to it, It's loud and abrasive. It's DBM and it has white multispoke wheels, It's got a sun strip with SUBARU on it, Tinted windows, the biggest spoiler I could afford and a massive scooby doo sticker on the back window.It's decatted and has a VTA. I want to get noticed!
I don't drive like a pillock and I enjoy people pointing and generally getting excited on the roadside when the car comes down the street!
As for the flame kit, I tell you why i've got it. It's impressive and I like to show off. To see peoples faces when it ignites makes me happy. They don't know how it works, they don't need to, they just saw something they don't see every day and enjoyed it.
I used to get flak at work because I wore bright ties. Funny enough it was from tossers with dull suits and ties on! Seems to be a pattern.
So if you don't like flame kits, don't put someone off them because YOU don't like 'em. Slating them as rubbish etc. Try saying things like, A Flame kit would attract too much attention for the likes of me, it's not my cup of tea and also i'm not to sure about the legal implications. I'm not prepared to take the risk!
That is what I said about Neons. I didn't slag everyone off for having them though.
Mikey <RANT OVER>
Old 27 February 2004, 10:47 AM
scoobylav
Scooby Regular

Sorry to say I am with Mikey on this one . . . . . and no I don't have a flamer kit, because they aren't for me.

Last edited by scoobylav; 27 February 2004 at 10:48 AM.
Old 27 February 2004, 11:06 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Cool your jets Mikey. The reasons why you bought your Impreza and why you want it to look/sound like it does are entirely your issue. I can't speak for "the community", but you've certainly never seen me denigrate anybody who chooses not to modify their car, and I can't immediately think of anybody who does.

What you wanted out of your car is immaterial to this thread. rayman asked a question in General Technical about flamer kits. It goes without saying that he's going to receive hard-nosed, bullsh*t-free answers. You can't disagree that things like this are for posing value. However, if rayman chooses to fit one anyway, it's his car and entirely his option. There's no reason or justification for your rant here...
Old 27 February 2004, 11:27 AM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

So what you're saying Mikey is that people who don't modify their cars are dull tossers...? Charming.
Old 27 February 2004, 11:53 AM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Wink

Sorry dudes, just went off on one.

Maybe a bit harsh, but as you are probably aware, It really grips my **** when someone forcefully offers an opinion in such a biased way as to influence someone who doesn't know enough to make up thier own minds. The thread starter could have gone away thinking that the majority of scoob drivers hate flame kits or if you have one, other scoob owners will frown upon it. That is NOT the case. Why should he fit a flame kit and then feel "embarrased" around other scoob owners? He shouldn't and the tone of your replies could have led him to believe it's the worst thing ever to do to a scoob. It's a bit of fun!
It only winds me up when its someone reletivley new asking. They come on for some advice and 9 times out of 10 they get fed rubbish. Ask any of the 3rd party suppliers who read scoobynet. The majority of advice given on here is absolute tosh. However, the experienced folk are able to see through that and get to the "proper" advice and information of which there is alot.
I fell for it when I was a newbie. I got right proper "marketed" and fished in. Had to have this that and the other. Ran out of dosh and was forced to look at cheaper alternatives and guess what. The car works better now than it ever did.
I want newbies to know that Scoobynet is not the be all and end all for getting advice and answers. A very good source it is but it's not the definitive. Our technical knowledge in the uk is tiny (Except for a minority) compared to the guys in Oz and America. Have a look at thier sites and see how they answer newbie questions. With respect, friendliness and No scaremongering.
Sorry for implying that all unmodified car owners were boring etc.

Mikey
Old 27 February 2004, 12:14 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

It really grips my **** when someone forcefully offers an opinion in such a biased way as to influence someone who doesn't know enough to make up thier own minds. The thread starter could have gone away thinking that the majority of scoob drivers hate flame kits or if you have one, other scoob owners will frown upon it.
Who gives a f**k what other "Scoob" owners think? I don't, and I doubt rayman does either. He presumably knew before he posted that this wasn't a "performance enhancing" mod, and simply asked if they're effective (i.e. at producing flames). If he was entertaining the decision to buy one, he was presumably aware of/didn't care about the critical reaction his decision would cause.

Why should he fit a flame kit and then feel "embarrased" around other scoob owners?
Lol, this is a virtual community Mikey, not a literal one. However, just like a literal community, people have different values, and different interests. There's no rulebook that says what's cool and what's not in the world of Scoobynet, and thus no reason for anybody to feel embarrassed around here. Thus, there's no reason why rayman would feel this way, whether indeed he eventually bought a flame kit or not.

Last edited by greasemonkey; 27 February 2004 at 12:16 PM.
Old 27 February 2004, 12:15 PM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

Obviously everyone has their own personality and style on here. You can't have a go at people simply because they're passionate about their beliefs! I understand what you're saying about scaring newbies, but the problem with that is certain people would have to change their personality and style to suit the assumed nature of the person they're replying to. And that's just not the thing to do! You have to be yourself, all of the time. If people like you for that, great. If people hate you for that, too bad. As my old man says "You can't please everyone all of the time". And he's right...

It's up to the newbie to digest advice given and make his/her own informed decision. In my opinion, the problem lies with people from "your side of the coin". If more of you replied to these type of threads, not only would the natural balance improve, but newbies would get the benefit of advice from both sides of the coin more often. Differing advice, that helps them to make decisions. And, as you say, hopefully doesn't make them embarassed, and prevent them from doing something they feel passionate about.

Old 27 February 2004, 12:18 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys,

Have a good weekend

Mikey
Old 27 February 2004, 12:23 PM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

Back at ya.
Old 27 February 2004, 12:55 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Mikey, I agree with most of what you put in your threads, and most make me chuckle

But...

Flame kits are very sad indeed, (IMHO) and there's no way around it. To go to the lengths of putting a spark plug in your tailpipe, is a bit odd to me. Its straight out the max power manual. You must admit to feeling a bit juvenile

I have to admit it, but ive had an atmos D/V, and it didn't last long for 2 reasons. 1) its noisy, and trying to explain why it sounds like a bus to any passenger in your car is embarrasing. 2) The car didn't like it.

Mine naturally pops and bangs, which isn't always a good thing, as it attracts attention, but each to their own.

MB
Old 27 February 2004, 08:26 PM
elgordano
Scooby Regular

flamer kits are great fun especially at rolling road days and shows. you always get a good crowd. don't worry about what everyone else thinks. be individual and don't follow the crowd. that's what makes the car modding scene so much fun.