Notices

A pillar replacement-question re ultrasonics

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2004, 04:52 PM
DaveHSTI
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A pillar replacement-question re ultrasonics

Would like to fit a boost gauge in an aftermarket A pillar on my MY04 Impreza. Having pulled the original off, the ultrasonics for the alarm which are screwed into the A pillar are hard wired without any connectors visible.
Will I have to cut the wires & re-connect if I fit the aftermrket pillar pod...has anyone got exeprience of this & if so, is the wire 'normal' copper cored or the fine enamelled type stuff that is a b****r to solder ??
I am not anxious to screw up the alarm system !
Thanks

Dave H
Old 08 March 2004, 06:55 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Note sure on the new model, but on my MY99 the aftermarket A-pillar pod fits over the top of the original. I just unscrewed the alarm sensor and put a hole in the new pod aligned with the existing hole. Then I just screwed the sensor, pod and original trim together through the one hole.

I would *not* recommend cutting any wires as you will invalidate the warranty on the alarm and you could also invalidate the Thatcham Cat1 approval.

Stefan
Old 08 March 2004, 09:42 PM
DaveHSTI
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by ozzy
Note sure on the new model, but on my MY99 the aftermarket A-pillar pod fits over the top of the original. I just unscrewed the alarm sensor and put a hole in the new pod aligned with the existing hole. Then I just screwed the sensor, pod and original trim together through the one hole.

I would *not* recommend cutting any wires as you will invalidate the warranty on the alarm and you could also invalidate the Thatcham Cat1 approval.

Stefan

Thanks.

where did you get the A pillar from...the one I was considering was from Nomad Racing which is a replacement and not a cover...Dave H
Old 09 March 2004, 02:04 AM
stu200
Scooby Regular

Dave,

Have you got a picture of the sensor on the A-pillar ? Reason being I've just put the Nomad pillar into mine so might be able to help - but then again, my alarm sensor screwed into the pillar so was easy.
Old 09 March 2004, 07:11 AM
DaveHSTI
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by stu200
Dave,

Have you got a picture of the sensor on the A-pillar ? Reason being I've just put the Nomad pillar into mine so might be able to help - but then again, my alarm sensor screwed into the pillar so was easy.
It is the factory fit alarm sensor.....a small spherical sensor with a hidden screw in the base that screws trough the A pillar. The problem would be that to transfer the sensor between the old & the new I would have to cut & re-join the wires (unless there is a connector somewhere I don't know about)

Cheers

Dave
Old 09 March 2004, 11:14 AM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***

DaveHSTI,

Don't panic. I fitted a J-Spec dual pod A pillar last year to my MY02 STi.

I panicked at first, once I pulled the old pillar off I could see that the alarm sensor can actually be removed with a soldering iron.

I just dabbed the end to remove the two cables, fitted the new A- Pillar and then drilled a new hole for the sensor and then resorldered the connection.

It all works perfectly.

Here's a picture - excuse the dirty windscreen :-)