Notices

MY93 WRX Getting Mapped.. what level of boost shall I use?

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2004, 01:25 AM
Trebor69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool MY93 WRX Getting Mapped.. what level of boost shall I use?

Hello All

I have a MY93 WRX Import with the following mods

HKS Air intake system
HKS exhuast system, with full decat etc
HKS 3 port Boost solenoid
HKS EVC Pro 4 Boost controller
HKS FMIC
HKS SSQV Dump Valve
HKS FCD Unit
HKS Boost Gauge
Uprated Fuel pump (new) Warbro
7D ECU
VF34 Turbo

I got a cheap S/H Unichip and have fitted this and will be getting it mapped at Powerstation next week... Main reasons for going Uni-chip is got it cheap, not going to do any more mods... honest And I can get it mapped locally. Main reason it just to get it running as good as it can and hopefully more more torque

Question I have is, Currently I Run 1.1 bar, I was hoping to raise this to 1.3 or more??? but is this safe and could car fuel enough for this amount of boost??? When running higher boost levels is it more that the enigne components can't take it or more that the ecu/stock injectors won't fuel enough for amount of air going in?

I am running as far as I know stock internals, car has done 70K miles and is in very good order.

You advice would be great. and if any guru wan't to explain boost/fueling laws/advice please do... i am still learning!!!

Cheers
Rob
Old 09 March 2004, 06:37 AM
K9VYN
Scooby Regular

Trebor,

your list of mods is not too disimilar to mine - except I have STi II RA engine now, adjustable fuel reg and 440 cc injectors. My car is mapped at 1.3 bar (from last engine which couldn't handle it), but I am still gently running the engine in and its that bit stronger than yours.

i'm no expert in this game, but assume that if you're on the standard 380cc injectors you may, despite the Walbro, perhaps struggle to fuel you're engine enough (at least to keep things safe).

i would say, that the fact you're gtting it mapped gives the mapper (and you) the opportunity to tune and check fueling accordingly and obviously set an appropriate level of boost.

just for information - my WRX intake manifold was retained and the yellow 440cc injectors fitted straight in (no fuel rail mods). many people advise to go to 550cc - i found the 440s worked well enough with the previous early WRX block i had, how they will fair with the RA block i have yet to find out.

hope you find some snippet of useful info in all that - i'm fairly certain someone more knowledgeable will be along later today and perhaps with exactly the info you need.

cheers,

Kev

Last edited by K9VYN; 10 March 2004 at 05:56 AM.
Old 09 March 2004, 09:18 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice setup

1.3 bar midrange dropping to 1.1 at top end will probably be good if you can sort it (control wise).

Holding more at top end will push injectors perhaps too far, but not getting the boost in the midrange will rob you of potential torque.

VF34 doesn't flow massive amounts either, but should make a nice 300+ hp with great spoolup.

Paul
Old 09 March 2004, 10:27 AM
Trebor69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pavlo
nice setup

1.3 bar midrange dropping to 1.1 at top end will probably be good if you can sort it (control wise).
This is possible as I have the HKS EVC 4 Pro boost controller of which you can map boost control to rpm and throttle position. I attempted to set this up at weekend though couldnt get it to work properly, i have the manual faxed from America so I'll have another go. I was thinking 1.3 to say 5500/6000 then 1.1 to redline. If I cant get this to work then I'll settle for 1.1bar all the way?

Originally Posted by Pavlo
VF34 doesn't flow massive amounts either, but should make a nice 300+ hp with great spoolup.
I brought this turbo with driveabiltly at mind, low down power and torque, maybe giving easier sideways action? How does this turbo in performance compare to the TD05 that would of been fitted, this has straight enrty and samco 90 degree hose and needle roller bearings.

All I want now is this car to run at it best with current mods fitted with as much torque as possible, I have spent far too much money on it allready, My plan is to keep this for sometime, enjoy it, sell it and buy a newer model when I can afford it.

I take it better fueling and timing from Uni-chip should give me better pickup, more driveability, more torque and maybe some bhp. You never know i may get some exhaust popping noises... Was told on last rolling road with poorly turbo (vf28) that it was running a bit lean and was only gettting 217lb torque 285 BHP.. but not unsafe..hit 1.1 bar and held it, just spooled late!!

Rich who is going to map it will be able to tell if its unable to fuel properly at high rpm/boost and set boost level to suit, he advised me on booking in to have it mapped to 1.1bar..... (ref K9VYN post)

Also in preperation for mapping, I have reset ECU, cleaned boost solenoid, checked all hoses etc etc. Running on Optimax (no octane booster). anything else I should do

Cheers
Trebor69

Last edited by Trebor69; 10 March 2004 at 12:14 AM.
Old 09 March 2004, 07:52 PM
Trebor69
Scooby Regular

more replies please sir!

Old 11 March 2004, 12:07 AM
Trebor69
Scooby Regular

BTTT
Old 12 March 2004, 08:22 AM
exesspeed
Scooby Regular

Default your my93 ecu re-map

hi i noticed in your post you fitted a unichip to your 93 wrx, ive a 94 and also a uni chip, but no diagram to fit it, have you a diagram you can mail me please, or any pic,s youve taken, these would be much appreciated, my e.mail add is
aopf74@dsl.pipex.com

thanks mark

ive left you a mesage in your mesage box too, regards mark

take a look at the mod,s ive done on mine too, this is the link

http://markmainwaring3092.photos.cn.com/

Trending Topics

Old 12 March 2004, 08:43 AM
Trebor69
Scooby Regular

Hello Exesspeed

Yes I do have the Wiring diagram for fitting the Unichip

I take it you have the ECU which has 4 connectors

Wiring is easy 7 wires in total, break 2 circuits MAF and Timing (4wires)

1 GND
1 Live
1 Throttle sensor wire

All connections are down by ECU , 1 hour job really, and best to solder obviously.

I can fax it to you if you want, Haven't got scanner so cant email

Could do photocopy and send in post

Let me know

Rob

rj.white@NOSPAMblueyonder.co.uk Remove NOSPAM!!