Notices

Removing Wings ???

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2004, 02:53 PM
minty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Removing Wings ???

I am fitting a new kit to my scooby and have replacement wings for the front and rear. i have removed the front wings quite easily.

I have been told, and just want to confirm before i take the angle grinder to it ...........That i have to CUT ( yes CUT !! the rear wings from the car in order to fit the new ones ???

Thanks for your help.

Chris.
Old 09 March 2004, 03:02 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

You've already been told once! Yes, at the very least you're going to have to cut the cut the wheelarch sides out, and it's likely to be more involved than that. Didn't it come with any fitting instructions?

To be honest, this is more a job for a bodyshop, or at least someone with car body repair experience, than a casual weekend tweaker. Assuming you're fitting a 22B type wide arch kit, are you really up to the cutting/welding/filling/painting that's required?

If not, leave it to a professional.

Last edited by greasemonkey; 09 March 2004 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09 March 2004, 03:13 PM
minty
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yeah thanks Greasemonkey, i couldnt remember who told me in my last post but your have your eagle eyes on scoobynet today so thank you.

Yeah it's the 22b wide arch kit i'm fitting. I am going to try and do as much as is possible myself before i send it in to be finished and sprayed.

Not sure what welding i'll have to do, it's all fibre glass just thought i would see a lot of filler and fibre glass when i was fitting it.

Thanks
Chris.
Old 09 March 2004, 03:36 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Your best bet would be to consult someone in a bodyshop before you dive in Chris. Without seeing the kit it's impossible to say exactly what you've got to do to get it fitted properly.

Cutting is the only way to remove the standard arch, as, under normal circumstances, the rear arch, C- and A-pillars are all a single pressing. Exactly how much you cut and how best to attach the replacement is something we can't comment on without firsthand eyeball. Whether or not you'll need to weld something structural in depends entirely on how much metal you end up removing. Is this on a two door or four door car, BTW?

IIWY I wouldn't start the job without being absolutely certain of what I was supposed to be doing, as the consequences of screwing it up are expensive.
Old 09 March 2004, 05:07 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

you will start it, get the bodyshop to finnish it off and it will crack becuase you didnt do the 1st few steps properlly and look pap

unless you know your bodywork stuff
Old 09 March 2004, 05:07 PM
minty
Scooby Regular

Thanks.. i will find out exactly what they think i will need to do before i attack.

It's on a four door MY96 by the way.