Notices

New to all this -

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2004, 05:41 PM
2hotty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New to all this -

Uuuuumm.... without wanting to sound thick !! iv been reading on here about afr, fcd & dawes - what the hell are these?!! do I need them on my95 wrx its standard apart from a hks backbox & baileys dump valve. Also what is the best induction kit to fit?? cheers
Old 09 March 2004, 07:36 PM
binxta1
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by 2hotty
Uuuuumm.... without wanting to sound thick !! iv been reading on here about afr, fcd & dawes - what the hell are these?!! do I need them on my95 wrx its standard apart from a hks backbox & baileys dump valve. Also what is the best induction kit to fit?? cheers

Everyone will tell you different things I have a HKS induction kit on my93sti its really good apart from eating maf sensors like no tomorrow.So be carefull in your choice plus when you start doing this it dose'nt stop there
Old 09 March 2004, 07:49 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AFR - Air/Fuel Ratio - see here for a description. You can run a AFR meter (e.g. LamdaLink) that will show you the air/fuel mixture given different engine loads - cruising, Wide Open Throttle, for example.

FCD - Fuel Cut Defender - Turbo charged cars have a factory limit to the amount of boost they can run. Fuel is cut when maximum boost is reached. FCD's are devices that allow you to run more than the factory level set in the ECU.

Dawes - A make of Manual Boost Controller - see here

Stefan
Old 09 March 2004, 07:51 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Oh and certain induction kits can cause your car to run with a lean Air/Fuel mixture (as there is now more cold air that expected) and since the aren't fixed that well, the excess vibration can lead to premature failure of the MAF sensor.

A faulty MAF sensor has lead to many a blown Impreza engine, so be very careful adding mods that could affect it's performance.

Stefan
Old 09 March 2004, 10:27 PM
2hotty
Scooby Regular

Cheers stefan - i can understand what everyone is on about now! could I get past the lean mixture by a chip?

Scot
Old 10 March 2004, 01:24 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Yes, if the car's running lean you could get the car re-mapped or chipped to accommodate the new mods. Whether it's worth the costs just to run an Induction kit is open to argument. IMHP, you'd be better making some other changes to justify the mapping/chipping costs

I'm only familiar with the later Impreza's so unsure what your options are on a MY95WRX.

Stefan