Notices

SECS unit in MY99?

Search this Thread

Old 10 March 2004, 08:10 PM
gratz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SECS unit in MY99?

I have installed a SECS ecu monitoring unit in a MY99 and on page 3 where the AFR and the IN ( which I presume is the intake temp) should be I am just getting a NO DATA response. I have looked on some websites and as far as I am aware I dont need any additional sensors. I have also tried re connecting it several times but no joy. Any help would be much appriciated as half the reason I brought it was because a recent rolling road readout showed my fueling was slightly out on the AFR and want to see what it is reading.
Cheers. Gratz
Old 10 March 2004, 08:13 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Have a word with Psi3 to confirm, but if you're not getting a reading, it's most likely because that particular ECU doesn't support these data readings on the SECS.

In any case, you'd probably find that the standard lambda sensor in these cars, when combined with the ECU read output, doesn't have enough scaling to give accurate and reliable AFR readings. A standalone AFR meter like the Dawes product would be better than nothing, but to get accurate figures you need a proper wideband lambda.
Old 10 March 2004, 08:26 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

thats same as mine then,page 3 gives you coolant temp and engine speed
then 2x no data underneath

Jon
Old 10 March 2004, 08:29 PM
gratz
Scooby Regular

I see. I will have a look at the stand alone AFR meters. Any ideas where might be the best place to get one? What is required in wireing them up? It would be good to have some sort of indication as to what is going on. Cheers Gratz
Old 10 March 2004, 10:01 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Of all the commercial AFR meters gratz, the Dawes "Subaru specific" one available from JW Racing is about the most useful.

All you need to do to wire it up is to connect to battery (or another good) earth, a +12v connection and the lambda input on the ECU.
Old 11 March 2004, 09:19 AM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

Your choice of AFR gauge will depend on what you want it to monitor. As Horace says () the Subaru specific Dawes is about as accurate as it gets, but will only be of any use during wide open throttle. It probably won't show any lights at any other time. The alternatives, like Autometer for instance, will show you all activity, as the 20 segments are in 0.5v increments - 4 for lean, 10 for stoich, 6 for rich...

The ECU wire you want is the blue plug (B136) pin 21 (third row down, third wire in from the right, white with silver spots)...
Old 11 March 2004, 05:37 PM
gratz
Scooby Regular

Smile

Cheers for that chaps. I realy just need it so I can keep an eye on what is happening with my fueling as I have heard that the MY99 uk spec are prone to having MAF failure and I have been tolg after a recent roling road day that it is running lean at full laod. Any opinions on the Lambda Links? Has any one got one fitted and how useful are they. Thanks peeps.

Trending Topics

Old 12 March 2004, 08:57 AM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

Alot will depend on where and how you want it mounted. If you've got other gauges, with centre or A-pillar pods, you may prefer something like the Autometer. If you're happy with something Knocklink sized, then go for the Lamdalink. If you only want the specific lambda readings during WOT, then go for the Dawes...
Old 12 March 2004, 01:12 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Yep, the AFR doesnt work on SECS for MY99/00. Not sure why, its a bit poor that it doesn't TBH, especially for the price of the thing

Lambda link is ugly, but does the job, and will match the ugly interior The Autometer (what I use) looks a lot nicer and can sit in the A pillar (from Scoobymania) As Judge says, it will also tell you whats going on when its closed loop - not really anyhing meaningful - but it the light start behaving badly when the MAF is gone, so more info helps.

MB
Old 12 March 2004, 05:51 PM
roguck
Scooby Regular

So what does this device actually measure on a MY99/00 as I am about to purchase one of these and then look to start with further mods in the future which may involve watching some of these particular readings.
Old 12 March 2004, 05:58 PM
gratz
Scooby Regular

The onlt trouble is now I am running out of space to put gauges. I already had a boost gauge in the A pillar and now I have the SECS unit in the centre pod, so the only thing I can think of now is by putting a Lambda Link next to my knocklink where the cigarette lighter is. Any other suggestions as I cant see anywhere else to put it where it is best for me to see it?

Too many things too keep looking at!!!
Old 13 March 2004, 12:34 AM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Doesn't the secs show O2 sensor readings? It should. It's from the O2 sensor readings that you determine your AFRs. Anything under .88volts means the MAF is on it's way. You shouldn't need a standalone AFR gauge if the secs reads O2 sensor as the standalone gauge also gets it's readings from the O2 sensor (lamda).
Old 13 March 2004, 11:03 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Gratz

Make your knock & lamda links remote by running extension wires to the LED & then housing the LEDs somewhere imaginative - like A-Pillar pod or binnacle like I have done for my knocklink