Notices

MY02 STi PPP - Fuel Pressure Regulator

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2004, 09:01 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY02 STi PPP - Fuel Pressure Regulator

Hi there,

Been reading through various posts and am not sure whether I should get one or not ?

I remember last year a debate that the PPP'd cars really should have a fuel pressure regulator fitted ?

What exactly does this do ? (in english please..)

Can a competent mechanic fit it ?

Does it need setting up ?

Is there a specific one to get ?

THANKS.
Old 12 March 2004, 11:19 AM
Steve PPP
Scooby Regular

Smile

Mark,
Don't know about the regulator, there was a problem with fuel pumps on early STi7 PPP kits like mine. ( The daughter board version).
The pump was recalled under warranty and swapped for a new type.

AFAIK all early PPP pumps should have been swapped.
Is this what you meant?
HTH

Steve Wardle
Old 12 March 2004, 12:45 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***

No, I have the pump, but remember reading about the pressure regulators, that can be uprated.
Old 12 March 2004, 02:25 PM
Steve PPP
Scooby Regular

Cool

Oh, OK I will be interested for my STi if it improves performance and/or economy.

Steve
Old 12 March 2004, 09:02 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

In simple terms, the FPR - when the fuel pump is passing more fuel than the engine needs (e.g. low revs/throttle) - lets fuel return to the tank, thereby holding the fuel pressure in the fuel rails constant.

Can a competent mechanic fit it? Yes

Does it need setting up? Depends on which sort you get. An adjustable one needs setting up, unsurprisingly non-adjustable (fixed or rising rate) don't.

There has been talk about the standard regulator not being able to cope with the flow/pressure etc from the uprated pump. I don't know whether that is true or not.

Regards which one to get - depends on what you are trying to achieve! Some people will get one which can be adjusted to higher pressures in order to get more peak flow (and hence more potential power) out of the standard injectors. This is totally unnecessary with just a PPP. If you're going to fit a regulator to run anything other than the same fuel pressure you have at the moment, you'd need to look at re-mapping to suit.

Regards change to performance and/or economy - unlikely to make any significant difference with just PPP or similar mod level if the engine is already correctly mapped; it may just make things work more efficiently / smoother if the present regulator is struggling.

That's about my knowledge anyway, never played with regulators on an STi.