Notices

Strange Noise in Wet

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2004, 12:59 PM
RB5Drive
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Noise in Wet

This is a long shot but I'll try it anyway on an MY00 Turbo with 25k. When I am travelling on a WET day and where I would come across alot of floods I can hear a creeking noise coming from the back left wheel when going over bumps or bad surface. Sounds like the coils or the shocks but not sure.

This could then be followed by a rubbing sound which sounds like the pads rubbing against the discs. This is alot more apparent after hitting a flood.

The creeking sound then goes away on even surface and its absolutely perfect on a dry day. Its just a bit annoying.

Just thought I would ask if it sounded familuar to anyone before I have a proper look.

Thanks..
Old 15 March 2004, 01:06 PM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

Cool

Could be the rubber sleeves that the springs sit on moving, especially when wet as this may cause them to loose grip on the spring seats slightly,s it may be this you can hear, as, like you say, the moment they dry out, no problem.
Old 15 March 2004, 01:20 PM
RB5Drive
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that, this is where I will start so. Why do you think these would start to move and can the existing ones be secured if its where the problem is?
Old 15 March 2004, 05:12 PM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

Cool

these rubber "rings " normally rely on the pressure of the springs to keep them in place. Like I said, it may of been the excessive amount of water they were subject to caused them to move and slip.
They do sit in a recess, so there is not much else to do to retain their position. The only other thing you can possibly do is replace them with new ones, if it appears these may be worn at all. But to be perfectly honest, if it was happening to mine in such limited circumstancves,I'd leave it alone, knowing what the problem is as it is not that serious. So untill you decide to replace the coil springs for example to stiffen the suspension, then get them swopped at the same time.
Old 15 March 2004, 05:17 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Anti roll bar bushes that need fresh grease...
JIM