Notices

Peak Boost.....

Search this Thread

Old 29 March 2004, 05:54 PM
RichieD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Peak Boost.....

I've just fitted a Blitz Dual turbo timer... the one which displays boost and peak boost - went for a run (thrash) and then checked my recorded peak boost.
1.28 hkPa... which in real money is just over 18 psi !!!!!!
Normal driving saw a peak boost of 1.1 hkPa (15.9 psi).

I've got a JDM MY99.. with a few minor mods (PE twin dump downpipe, Blitz SUS induction kit, Samco hoses and a Blits SSQV dump valve) using the original AE480 ECU and original VF29 (which my local mechanic reckons is on its way out!) - now the top figure seems a tad high... is the turbo timer just being inaccurate? or would you expect such a figure? there was no boost/fuel cut and everything was smooth as a nut(ter).

What boosts are people running?
Old 29 March 2004, 06:55 PM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

Mine was peaking at about 18.6 psi because of the decat (MY99 JDM STi). I was also getting det when it peaked.

I've since fitted a Dawes to control the boost for the time being, but am going for a remap in a few months.
I'm finding with the Dawes that peak boost is only about 0.5psi or so over full boost.
Old 31 March 2004, 08:46 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Richie

How are you getting on with the dual timer?, I'm thinking of getting one myself.

was it easy to install, where abouts did you mount it etc

thanks

Justin
Old 31 March 2004, 10:58 AM
RichieD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay m A
Richie

How are you getting on with the dual timer?, I'm thinking of getting one myself.

was it easy to install, where abouts did you mount it etc

thanks

Justin
So far so good... although I think the automatic timer seems a little conservative at times in its timing.. overall i'm very happy with it.

I bought the wiring harness as well, so once i'd thrown away the Japanese installation instructions it was fairly simple, just very awkward (head in footwell, rest of body hanging outside the car!).
Once I found the ignition connector (cunningly hidden amongst a huge bundle of wires) it was a straight plug in job.
The fitting of the handbrake safety wire was again straight forward.. but fiddly.. ended up completely dismantling the centre (handbrake) console.
Boost pressure pipe taken through grommet just above the turbo but under the brake fluid resorviour, inserted boost tap off just before the boost solenoid.

I've fitted mine by sticking it (with velcro) just under the fuse cover/draw by the drivers door - you can still see it whilst driving and it isn't in yer face.. (plus all the wiring etc is down there and doesn't require any butchering of the plastic fascia etc).