Notices

DeCatting a MY00PPP

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2004, 09:59 PM
NelsonUK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DeCatting a MY00PPP

I have a MY00 with PPP and am contemplating the D/Pipe DeCat route again. I did infact purchase a Magnex Twin Dump D/Pipe which for me had a detrimental effect on the cars performance low down torque and driveability.

I have searched through lots of previous posts about DeCats and as to whether the open neck and or Twin Dump is the better option ? Has anyone got any experiences of the MY00PPP ECU and a Decat D/Pipe ? Is this something that is best left alone without a change of ECU ?

Any comments advice welcome
Old 30 March 2004, 10:19 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get boost spikes running a de-cat and the PPP. It affects different cars in different ways and you will probably need to experiment a little with the restrictor hole size. A Dawes could be used to control boost spikes inconjunction with the ECU.

Stefan
Old 30 March 2004, 10:29 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Also running a MY00 PPP, but with a H&S open neck dp, with splitter. Lovely. Definitely an improvement after fitting the dp. No sign of overboost so far.
Old 30 March 2004, 10:46 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

I know John Banks could offer some advice. He had certain issues on his MY00 PPP. Perhaps it depends on the type of downpipe. I didn't have my PPP that long, but I certainly didn't experience any particular problems on my MY99 RB5 with a TSL open-neck downpipe.

Stefan
Old 31 March 2004, 10:37 AM
Geddon
Scooby Regular

Have MY00 ppp with decat magnex twin dump d/p and decat magnex centre- much improved than before- think its something like 20 or 30bhp
Did get checked when it was fitted on mine with boost gauge for spiking but was fine.
Clearly the way forward imo
Old 01 April 2004, 12:48 PM
NelsonUK
Scooby Regular

Any other thoughts or experiences cos aswell as the Decat Magnex pipe I also fitted a Vortex Afterburner Exhaust angled exit for unrestricted flow.....maybe due to the severe lack of back pressure (Decat and straight exit BB) I was getting problems ? The thing is I fitted a MBC and whilst it did help matters I just found the low down torque was affected, which was not great for round town sort of driving I really would like to go the DeCat D/Pipe route again but am thinking that the better option may be the open neck and maybe an uprated rear box like the Scoobysport which still has the bends in the right places not angled exit ? Any further thoughts/experiences would be very welcome

As a side thought the Magnex D/Pipe whilst having the Twin Dump had a very short exit pipe for the Wastegate which joined the main flow pipe farther down. I have however noticed from other photos of a Magnex D/Pipe that they have very long exit pipes for the wastegate that join much further down the main turbo outlet pipe ? Would this make any difference...I'm not too technically minded you see