Boost Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2004, 02:27 PM
Cheeky Jim
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost Gauge

Hi all,

just picked up my new MY98 wagon yesterday. I used to have a MY00 from new a few years ago but the only mods I did was put a Magnex back box on as I couldn't afford to invalidate the warranty. I sold it after 2 years but have finally come back to the fold.

Anyway, the new car has had plenty of work done on it and as a bit of novice when it comes to tuning, just wondered if I could have some advice.

Car has got a Power Engineering upgrade Chip and remap, Prodrive Backbox, Blitz Cone Filter, Quickshift, Vent to Air Dump Valve (not sure which brand) and twin dump down pipes? Not sure if the last bit is right.

The car has been dynoed by Power engineering at 281bhp with all of the above. Car has done 66k miles with full Subaru Service History.

Questions...

1) How do I clean the Cone filter? It has a metal surround, but I assume there is a paper filter inside? Do I simply buy a replacement paper filter every X miles?
2) Do I have to worry about the remap etc? Is it likely to accelerate engine wear?
3) Should I get a boost gauge? if so, which one, how easy is it to fit and what exactly am I looking at? What is a 'normal' boost? Does full boost change according to outside air temperature etc?

Just want to make sure that it stays reliable I guess.

Ta.

Jamie
Old 01 April 2004, 07:40 AM
redwrx
Scooby Regular

If i were you, i would certainly be getting a boost gauge fitted ....its the first mod i did on my car (my93wrx).

Ive got the Racetech gauge, cost around £30with fitting kit, i know there are gauges of a higher price tag, ive had it fitted to the car for around 18months, i had this one in work yesterday to check its calibration - and its spot on from -1 to +2.5bar, cant say fairer than that for the price.(after 18months)

Fitting is easy, its one pipe which you have to tee onto one of the pressure nipples on the top of the inlet manifold (i think thats its name) or if you can find the MAP sensor, you can tee into the line that feeds that.

As for std boost pressures, im not sure about your car, for mine is around 0.75bar, yours i think is for later models around 0.85 but maybe someone could correct me as im not 100%.

Hope this is of some help.

Frank

sorry, cant help on the other stuff
Old 01 April 2004, 08:26 AM
Cheeky Jim
Scooby Regular

Thanks Red,

It's due a service in a couple of thousand miles, I think I'll get one fitted at it's service.

Jamie