Notices

Clutch Pedal sticking

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2004, 04:34 PM
D4V3
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Pedal sticking

I have a MY94 WRX, when i'm changing Gear the Clutch pedal doesn't come all the way up and i have to click it up with my foot. There isn't any slipping on the clutch cause when the pedal sticks as its fine when accelerating.

When i went on the Surrey meet on Sunday, The pedal only came up about halfway whilst booting it down the lane to the park car park.

Anyone any idea on why this is happening.

Cheers
Dave
Old 11 May 2004, 06:57 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You too?
This seems to be a very common problem. It plauged me for months.
If you go to the 'Drivetrain' section and go back about 2 months there was loads discussed on this topic.
Try:
1 Remove the intercooler and check the clutch release arm still has it's return spring in place and/or still has tension in it when the pedal is fully depressed. If not replace it.
2 While you are there bleed the slave cylinder.
3 If still no good, remove the pedal assembly from under the dash (not too hard) and remove the huge pedal assist spring, it is about as big as a Mini's valve spring(!)

The pedal will now come to the top. If there is still 'free travel' from the pedal top position to when it feels the linkage is actually starting to release the clutch then you may have to have the clutch done, not a nice job.....

Good luck, I do know what this problem is like!

Old 11 May 2004, 09:44 AM
disoy
Scooby Newbie

I have had similer problems with my clutch over the years on my MY98, From my experiance i would try:

Bleeding and draining your clutch fluid, this will evectivly disconect the clutch pedal from the clutch. If it still does not return to its normal position then u know the problem is somthing to do with the pedal mechannisam and not the clutch. If it does then try changing the clutch fluid, making sure there is no air in the fluid as this will produce less pressure.

Hope this helps.
Old 11 May 2004, 11:55 AM
97 rExy
Scooby Regular

Had same issue when fast gearing(drag racing).
Bleeding did the job ,all fine now
Old 11 May 2004, 12:06 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

<slightly condecending and dismissive tone on>
"they all do that sir"
<slightly condecending and dismissive tone off>

happened to my old 99wagon and it took two attempts to fix it.
It was quite funny if i had a passenger and it would suddenly pop up with a very loud thunk while cruising on the motorway
Old 11 May 2004, 12:34 PM
Scooby Regular

What did you do Matt to fix it? I tried every solution people were kind enough to offer and in the end removed the gearbox/clutch and started all over again. I didn't have the problem until I changed the clutch/box.
Found a location dowl had dropped out of the box bell housing when I put the box back in in the first place....
Old 12 May 2004, 11:35 AM
D4V3
Scooby Regular

Cheers for all the Info, I don't really want to start take the car to bits so ill try bleeding and draining the clutch fluid. If that don't work ill spose ill have to spend more money in getting the clutch looked at.

Can anyone advise on where to take it to get it checked out in the NW London area (Watford)

Thanks

Trending Topics

Old 24 May 2004, 04:22 PM
:eek:
Scooby Regular

Question So....

Originally Posted by D4V3
Cheers for all the Info, I don't really want to start take the car to bits so ill try bleeding and draining the clutch fluid. If that don't work ill spose ill have to spend more money in getting the clutch looked at.

Can anyone advise on where to take it to get it checked out in the NW London area (Watford)

Thanks
You still wanna bleed it? if so, Wednesday or Thursday evenings are good for me
Old 25 May 2004, 12:59 AM
BART!
Scooby Regular

Default Strange...

If 911 gives the right answer, why not just follow it ?
He took the time to write it all down and now ...thanks but I will leave it as it is....next time just don't ask
Old 25 May 2004, 12:18 PM
D4V3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by :eek:
You still wanna bleed it? if so, Wednesday or Thursday evenings are good for me
Yer, sweet. Working Late Wednesday, Thursday sounds good. Ill give you a knock when i get home.

Cheers
Old 25 May 2004, 02:07 PM
King RA
BANNED

Originally Posted by BART!
If 911 gives the right answer, why not just follow it ?
He took the time to write it all down and now ...thanks but I will leave it as it is....next time just don't ask
911's input, as I'm sure D4V3 will agree would have been very appreciated. Comments like this on the other hand would not have been.

People always like an easy solution to problems and all D4V3 is saying is that he would rather try the easy path 1st before going for the harder jobs. 911 obviously knows what he is talking about because the advice he has given seems quite complex, not all of us would be able to undertake such a task.

Regards,

King RA.
Old 25 May 2004, 06:06 PM
Scooby Regular

Chaps, I respond to Snet questions when i feel I can help someone, i enjoy the participation. I do this because so many people on here have helped me through the dark times!
If some one follows the ideas through and it works, great, if they don't then that's fine too.
Keep it easy, keep it cool, we are here to enjoy, until your bloody clutch peddle stops half-way!
Never want to go there again!
Good luck to everyone,