Notices

How do you run Uprated Fuel Pump on 12V supply?

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2004, 01:44 PM
Markyboy uk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you run Uprated Fuel Pump on 12V supply?

Planning to get car (MY01) Tek3'd later this year and have been advised to change to uprated fuel pump - was thinking of using this one (Walbro -ITP154);

http://rallynuts.com/motorsport/Tuni...rades_1749.asp

Rallynuts tell me it will work but suggest I would want to "Get it wired on a direct 12V supply" - Can I/How do I do this on the MY01?

Will it be safe to run this pump prior to the remap or will it cause problems - would It be better to have it fitted the day of the remap?
Old 19 May 2004, 03:11 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

You'll be ok running it anyway. IIRC the connector on the pump fits earlyer cars, otherwise u need to do a bit of soldering. It's just a direct replacement

Dave
Old 21 May 2004, 12:05 PM
Markyboy uk
Scooby Regular

Anyone?
Old 28 May 2004, 11:51 AM
Markyboy uk
Scooby Regular

Ok I'm bumping this one up again coz I reckon it's a pretty good question and I KNOW someone out there knows the answer.

Come on, Spill the beans!
Old 28 May 2004, 06:24 PM
Bob Rawle
Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should not do this (hard wire), the factory ecu pwm's the supply to the fuel pump via a fuel pump controller according to engine load, it can easily be mapped hard wired but its not advisable as you lose the ecu error detection if something is going wrong. Typically it uses 33, 66 and 100% duty's according to condition with 33 being used for idle and most cruise.

An uprated pump can be installed at any time before a remap and the ecu will look after the fueling off boost however it would run richer on boost as the uprated pump would deliver more fuel into the same regulated pressure.

to add do not use the filter supplied with the pump its too shallow and you will get fuel starvation problems transfer the oem filter over.

bob

Last edited by Bob Rawle; 28 May 2004 at 06:26 PM.
Old 29 May 2004, 11:59 AM
Markyboy uk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bob Rawle
You should not do this (hard wire), the factory ecu pwm's the supply to the fuel pump via a fuel pump controller according to engine load, it can easily be mapped hard wired but its not advisable as you lose the ecu error detection if something is going wrong. Typically it uses 33, 66 and 100% duty's according to condition with 33 being used for idle and most cruise.

An uprated pump can be installed at any time before a remap and the ecu will look after the fueling off boost however it would run richer on boost as the uprated pump would deliver more fuel into the same regulated pressure.

to add do not use the filter supplied with the pump its too shallow and you will get fuel starvation problems transfer the oem filter over.

bob
Thank you Bob. Would the car running richer on boost be a bad thing/harmful to engine? (other than the obvious poor mpg)

Cheers

Mark.