removing front bumber on MY99

Search this Thread

Old 25 May 2004, 11:08 PM
little_idiot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing front bumber on MY99

Hi guys, need a bit of guidance!

In the next couple of weeks I'm gonna be removing the from bumper of my MY99 classic to give to a body shop to respray.

Before I plough in, i wanted a bit of advice on removing it.
so far:
indicators - easy
wedges - easy
fog lights - do i just remove the 4 skrews and that's it?
number plate - easy
washer jets - not sure about the fixings for them
removing the bumper - where do i start?

I'm generally pretty capable, just don't want to make a hash of it and it's a lot cheaper if i remove it my self.

any advice would be very very welcome

Thanks in advance
James
Old 26 May 2004, 12:10 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by little_idiot
fog lights - do i just remove the 4 skrews and that's it?
No, you only need to undo three bolts in each lamp. The fourth one is the adjuster, and you don't want to touch that. IIRC the adjuster is the lower inside, but it's easy to tell; the three screws to remove are black metal ones, while the adjuster is smaller, and made of plastic. Once the lamp is loose, you've just got the connector to release.

washer jets - not sure about the fixings for them
They're held on by spring clips that simply pull out from underneath. The pipes pull off once you've removed their clips. The one thing to be careful of is the pressure valve-tee. Leave that on the pipe running from the pump, otherwise your washer tank will drain all over the floor.

removing the bumper - where do i start?
Remove the lights and grille, then pop the plastic clips up (if you do this carefully you can re-use them) along the top of the bumper. Think there are a couple of bolts underneath, along with a couple more clips. You'll also have to release the wheelarch liners to remove the clips holding the back of the bumper to the front wing.

Once all of those are out, undo the bolt underneath the number plate and pull the bumper away to the front of the car. As soon as you gain access, release the washer pipes from the pressure valve and remove the bumper completely.
Old 26 May 2004, 10:20 AM
little_idiot
Scooby Regular

Greasemonkey, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

one question though, you refer to

Originally Posted by greasemonkey
Remove the lights and grille, then pop the plastic clips up (if you do this carefully you can re-use them) along the top of the bumper
once the grill, headlights & sidelights are out, do these clips become visible to me or are they on the underside and i just prize the top of the bumper up?

Will the pressure valve for the washers be obvious to me, i.e. running along the hose from the jet, it's the first thing that I will come to?

Again

Thanks very much mate

James

Last edited by little_idiot; 26 May 2004 at 10:29 AM.
Old 26 May 2004, 10:39 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

5 accross the top of the bumper bar will be obvious, they are grey with a philips head. unscrew the plastic bolts with a screwdriver and then pop the clips out. There are another 2 hidden, at either end of the bumper, which you can only get to once the front part of the wheel arch liner is removed.

2 17mm bolts, can be hard to see if covered in dirt, they are underneath right on the very front lower bar, and roughly spaced as wide as the radiator.

then once thos are removed, the bumper should be free. Initally pull from one end, as it can get caught on part of the inner wing, then do the other end, once past the obstruction it should slide off showing you the access point to the washer hose.

I personally put a clamp, like a freezer bag clamp or mole grips with tape round them, on the washer hose as it comes out of the engine bay, then just disconnet the pipe from the bumper. Or you can just ddisconnect it and lose your washer fluid (no major problem)

steven
Old 26 May 2004, 11:00 AM
little_idiot
Scooby Regular

thanks guys,
you are a hive of information. shouldn't be too much of a chor by all acounts, the ones in the wheel arches sound like the biggest swines. are these a wheel's off job or will i get in with a stubby skrew driver?

James
Old 26 May 2004, 11:11 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

you can leave the wheels on if you want.

taking the wheels off allows you to see all the clips and fasteners for the wheel arch liner, without breaking your neck or getting in funny positions (If not working on a lift).

once you have the arch liner off, you should be able to get to the 2 hidden ones ok, with a stubby screw driver