Notices

Oil warming up, how many miles?

Search this Thread

Old 28 May 2004, 11:37 AM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Oil warming up, how many miles?

MY03 PPP, what is the recommended warming up procedure? Unfortunately I don't have any monitors or oil temperature sensors, so I just reset the trip counter and allow an average of about 8 miles for the oil to reach working temperature. Is this excessive?

Has anyone with an oil temperature sensor taken readings at each mile to confirm how long it takes for the engine to warm up?
Thank you.
Old 28 May 2004, 11:45 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've found that it takes around 3 miles to see 70-80c (sump mounted sender) on a warm day with Castrol RS
JohnD (03STi)
Old 28 May 2004, 11:48 AM
kevin stanton
Scooby Regular

My MY99 takes about 5-6 miles to fully warm up.
Old 28 May 2004, 11:49 AM
yoza
BANNED

Are we talking Michael Schumachers Ferrari here, of a mass produced Japanese saloon ?

Its not an exact science, just get in it and dont boot it for the first couple of miles, then let fly.

Whats more important is the turn off proceedure, as Im sure you know, you must rev it to about six grand then turn the ignition off, keeps the turbo well oiled apparently.
Old 28 May 2004, 11:51 AM
Silvafox
Scooby Regular

LOL
Old 28 May 2004, 11:52 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Don't forget the distance to heat up the oil will be affected by the external temperature, so the milage is far from exact.

yoza,

the turbo only needs to be oiled if it is spinnign excessively. If you cruise home for the last few miles, the turbo will be spinning relatively slowly, and the engine can just be turned off. there will be oil in, but the danger that the turbo timer avoids, is if the turbo is hot then the residual oil which is no longer being pumped will burn and hence not lubricate the core. If the turbo is cool enough not to burn the oil, this isn't an issue.
Old 28 May 2004, 11:52 AM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

I used a 22B that had defis and the oil temp did not reach 80 degrees until maybe 15 miles into a journey. Could have been the placement of the sender or just that the car cooled oil more efficiently than other Scoobs.

Basically, if you only drive 10 miles or less on a journey, don't give it the berries.

Matt

Trending Topics

Old 28 May 2004, 11:58 AM
yoza
BANNED

Adam are you having a laugh..?

'The Turbo only needs to be oiled if its spinning excessively'.

Surely it needs to have a feed of oil when ever it is spinning, if I remember rightly the spindle ends float in oil permanently.

As for reving up to six grand then turning the ignition off, that was a joke, Im sorry if I have confused anyone.
Old 28 May 2004, 12:03 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I normally give it just over 5 miles, the worst part though is getting the cold oil out of the sump and around the engine, within a few miles the oil should have thinned enough for you to open the car up more, but within the first few seconds is where all the wear is, and within 5 mins the oil will still be pretty thick but it will still lubricate the engine.

Tony
Old 28 May 2004, 12:15 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Slightly off topic but kind of related. Having driven an Impreza auto on several occassions from cold, it always, without fail, takes approx 3 miles before the gearbox will go into top.

Of the times I've driven it on a cold day, I can pin point the same spot on the road everytime that the car will go into top.

Obviously manual cars don't have this information feed back.

Lol@Yoza's flip flop humour lost.
Old 28 May 2004, 12:46 PM
eastsussexscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
Slightly off topic but kind of related. Having driven an Impreza auto on several occassions from cold, it always, without fail, takes approx 3 miles before the gearbox will go into top.

Of the times I've driven it on a cold day, I can pin point the same spot on the road everytime that the car will go into top.

Obviously manual cars don't have this information feed back.

Lol@Yoza's flip flop humour lost.
I think you might want to check your auto transmission oil level mate, thats a sign that its low ! Check it when the engines warm, put it into Drive with the hand break on !!! Best to check it when you have just finished a drive as well.
Old 28 May 2004, 12:50 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I resist booting mine until the oil temp is 80, or 75 for a bit of part throttle boost.

Previously I used 65 which did leave some slight scoring marks on the bores.
Old 28 May 2004, 01:17 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

John

My SECS 1004 gives 3.5bar pressure and 75c temp when warm... it never gets to 80?

Is this normal?

Cheers
Old 28 May 2004, 02:28 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by eastsussexscooby
I think you might want to check your auto transmission oil level mate, thats a sign that its low ! Check it when the engines warm, put it into Drive with the hand break on !!! Best to check it when you have just finished a drive as well.
Thanks for the sentiment but it's full and clean and has happened on all manner of autos when it's particularly cold.
Old 28 May 2004, 02:35 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Spoon
Thanks for the sentiment but it's full and clean and has happened on all manner of autos when it's particularly cold.
Different car but my pajero does the same thing
Old 28 May 2004, 04:31 PM
Mike P
Scooby Regular

Oil temp is up at about 70-80 on my MY98 after about 4 miles of town driving. If I'm just cruising it stabilises at 88-90 degrees after a couple more.

The one thing I noticed is how much faster the water comes up to temp than the oil. God help the engines of people who give it full beans as soon as the water gauge hits "tepid".

Originally Posted by Jiggerypokery
MY03 PPP, what is the recommended warming up procedure? Unfortunately I don't have any monitors or oil temperature sensors, so I just reset the trip counter and allow an average of about 8 miles for the oil to reach working temperature. Is this excessive?

Has anyone with an oil temperature sensor taken readings at each mile to confirm how long it takes for the engine to warm up?
Thank you.
Old 28 May 2004, 09:30 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

In the summer it takes about 6mls for my oil to get past 75 dec C and I stay off boost until then and am gentle with it on boost for a bit further.
On the coldest winter days on an 18ml commute including dual carriageways at 70mph or a little over the oil may not get past 75 deg C
To shut down I drive the last couple of miles off boost.
Old 29 May 2004, 12:20 AM
Pete 200SX
Scooby Newbie

The general "rule of thumb" is that the oil takes twice as long as the water to get to temp

Pete