Notices

weird noise..any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2004, 11:39 AM
noobscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird noise..any ideas?

up until yesterday my 93 wrx sounded fine,it still boosts ok ,no smoke at all and everything runs fine,there is however on hard acceleration a sort of whining noise from somewhere..it only does it on hard acceleration and can be heard when the car is decelerating ..it sounds like a supercharger whine thats winding down over the engine note(like a thrust bearing maybe)..if you drive the car perfectly normal..it cant be heard even at speed. any ideas before i get out my junior socket set and halfords manual and go tinkering ??? ps hi to all members..this is my first of probably lots of posts
Old 30 May 2004, 11:57 AM
yungjamie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just joined, I have a similar problem on MY95wrx. Once the turbo kicks in there is a screeching noise but goes once I take my foot off the gas. It has'nt affected the turbo boost. Standing still I can rev the engine up to 4000 plus and no noise. I have had a wrx a few years ago so know how they should be. There is no aftermarket dump valves etc on it. I have changed the oil in the last few days but that is all. Frustrating or what?