Notices

fuel cut

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2004, 12:06 PM
carlegacy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel cut

ok there is loads of us get it but what causes it and how does it work ie what sensors are used what readings does it take etc.thanks between everyone here we should know exactly how it works.
Old 30 May 2004, 02:02 PM
KLR16V
Scooby Regular

Uses the map sensor which sends a pressure reading to the ecu , which trigers fuel cut , can be triggered by using a dawes and running to high a boost or oil contamination in boost solenoid relay ,oil makes the solenoid stick for a second to long before opening and so causes to high a target for boost and triggers fuel cut . different year cars have different fuel cut settings , fuel cut can be raised eg hks fuel cut raiser but you should have a fuel afr and knocklink in place if you are going to raise fuel cut as it is there to protect you engine.

Mark
Old 30 May 2004, 02:08 PM
carlegacy
Scooby Regular

anybody got any pics of the boost solenoid and any good ways of cleaning it as i think mine is contaminated there is dirty oil around the pipes.
Old 30 May 2004, 04:47 PM
Akka
Scooby Regular

Hi there.

I did mine the other week as it was fuel cutting! I think this was due to me overfilling the oil.........whoops! So i drained the excess off and checked it till it was right.

Then I set the car into limp mode. Connect bright green connectors underneath steering wheel column. Leave ignition off for now. I then unscrewed the wastegate solenoid (just infront of offside strut) check out this website..its on there somewhere!

http://stefanostadal.homedns.org/index.htm

Disconnected the hoses going into it, switched the ignition two notches, you can then hear solenoid clicking. I then proceeded to spray brake cleaner into the solenoid. I think you can spray it into the pipes, but I didn't fancy doing it!

I then switched ignition off and screwed everything back together.

I may be worth resetting the ECU. I did.

I can't remember exactly, but if you search for classic ECU reset there should be a post.

Hope this is of help

John

P.S - I'm an absolute novice and know nothing about car engines...........this is how easy it is to do!!!!
Old 30 May 2004, 05:29 PM
carlegacy
Scooby Regular

just cleaned mine thanks its a hundred times better still getting a bit of fuel cut but i think the car is putting out too much boost anyway so will turn that down and see what happens.
Old 30 May 2004, 05:46 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

So have you removed the MBC now and connected the 3-port boost solenoid?
Old 30 May 2004, 07:25 PM
carlegacy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Delboy2
So have you removed the MBC now and connected the 3-port boost solenoid?
hi no not connected and still have the mbc tho the mbc doesn't seem to affect boost much.don't know where all the pipes go on the boost solenoid.
Old 30 May 2004, 08:10 PM
carlegacy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by carlegacy
hi no not connected and still have the mbc tho the mbc doesn't seem to affect boost much.don't know where all the pipes go on the boost solenoid.
if anybody can tell me how to connect it up i will give it a go and see what happens
Old 30 May 2004, 11:15 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

Wink

A little confused now You say here that you have cleaned the boost solenoid
ok i might just be winning here cleaned the boost control relay and the car was a hundred times better however not perfect couple of things need fine tunning first so here goes my questions,how do i clean the relay properly would some wd40 be ok to clean
Then here you say it isn't pneumatically connected
If you have cleaned it and it is not connected you wouldn't have seen any difference.

The ECU's duty cycle map is set for the Oem Turbo so will likely cause overboosting problems if the solenoid is reconnected with the Hybrid Garret turbo as it will have different flow characteristics unless you have the ECU mapped for the different turbo.
The MBC will not be able to adjust the boost lower than the pre-loaded actuator pressure (0.5-0.75bar from what you said) which was what it was before the MBC was fitted.

Cheers
Old 31 May 2004, 08:07 AM
carlegacy
Scooby Regular

hi delboy you are correct i have cleaned out something else oops but it has made a big difference still not perfect tho.connected the test plugs and the vehicle is showing no errors.will try to put photos on tonight so you can see what i am doing.

thanks