HELP - Engine Noise

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2004, 04:39 PM
fliptron
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP - Engine Noise

Could any one help?

Basicallly theres a loud grinding noise coming from my engine, was a little noise but now its becoming unbareable.

Well it sounds like a bearing noise grinding, but its coming from around the cam belt or from belts, wasnt too bad to start with, but it is getting very loud now. i think its a bearing to a pulley or a pulley not working right, but im no pro with scooby engines.

Could anyone suggest wot this could be? or if anyone is near guildford, could pop round to assist.

Cheers

Trung 07799114401
Old 31 May 2004, 05:40 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fliptron
Could any one help?

Basicallly theres a loud grinding noise coming from my engine, was a little noise but now its becoming unbareable.

Well it sounds like a bearing noise grinding, but its coming from around the cam belt or from belts, wasnt too bad to start with, but it is getting very loud now. i think its a bearing to a pulley or a pulley not working right, but im no pro with scooby engines.

Could anyone suggest wot this could be? or if anyone is near guildford, could pop round to assist.

Cheers

Trung 07799114401
Difficult one to diagnose, this could be just about anything. Generally not a good idea to run for long in case the whatever-it-is fails and the belt jumps off. Perhaps have a look inside the cam belt covers [ the black plastic ones on the front of the engine ] first in case there is something obviously falling off.

A good trick is to use a long screwdriver as a listening post. Hold the handle to your ear and use the blade to rest upon the covers and area's where the noise is coming from. TAKE CARE as you don't want the blade amongst the rotating bits. This will help you identify the noise closer, It will run Ok with the top half of the cam belt covers off so you can get nearer the noise.

Good Luck David API Engines