Notices

Building oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 06 June 2004, 08:02 PM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building oil pressure

Yesterday I changed to oil in my 03 WRX, from magnatec to Mobil 1, 15W15.

I followed the instructions, and removed the crank sensor before turning the engine over for over 20 seconds (felt like 25 or there abouts). Anyway, the oil pressure light did not go out. Why?

I reconnected the sensor and started the engine, check engine light appeared, but went out after a few starts, engine running very smoothly now (it likes the new oil ).
Old 06 June 2004, 10:53 PM
fastfrank
Scooby Regular

Hi,

wheres the crank sensor and do you unscrew it or just disconnect it?

I've done a change before and never removed the sensor

Doesn't the ECU go into some kind of error mode it if detects the sensor has been removed?

Cheers

Frank
Old 06 June 2004, 11:30 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sensor is just above the front pulley, the crankshaft one!! and it just unplugs, I normally do fairly short runs on the starter, say ten seconds ot so, then wait for the same again, then go again until the light goes out, that way I can be assured that I have done the job.

Ron.
Old 07 June 2004, 08:06 AM
OdD KiDS OtHeR MatE
Scooby Regular

I usually just unplug the ign coil. Easy to get to and does the same job. Cranking time can vary massively but it's always wise to let the oil pressure light go out before starting
Old 07 June 2004, 09:13 AM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)

Problem with just disconnecting the coil, is that it doesn't disconnect the injectors, and they'll be pumping fuel in.

Mark.
Old 07 June 2004, 09:35 AM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

Greasemonkey warned about the CEL, so I wasn't phased when it appeared

I thought it would be easier on the battery if I kept the starter running rather than start-stop-start. The crank sensor is very easy to get at, just under the alternator behind the pulleys. Overall, the oil change was straight-forward, apart from a moment of cursing when I got oil on the driveway. Dishwasher powder left overnight works wonders!
Old 07 June 2004, 01:42 PM
Sti_Lad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jiggerypokery
Yesterday I changed to oil in my 03 WRX, from magnatec to Mobil 1, 15W15.

I followed the instructions, and removed the crank sensor before turning the engine over for over 20 seconds (felt like 25 or there abouts). Anyway, the oil pressure light did not go out. Why?

I reconnected the sensor and started the engine, check engine light appeared, but went out after a few starts, engine running very smoothly now (it likes the new oil ).
Is the Mobil 1 15w15 (shouldnt that be 50?) the best run of the mill oil for MY 03 cars????

Ive always changed to magnatec and wondered if there was a better oil to use for not a huge increase in cost...
Old 07 June 2004, 02:13 PM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

Correct! sorry, typo. Magnatec wasn't recommended on here. The three main synthetic oils are:

Mobil 1 15W50
Motul 300V 15W50
Castrol RS 10W60
Old 07 June 2004, 04:44 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jiggerypokery
Greasemonkey warned about the CEL, so I wasn't phased when it appeared

I thought it would be easier on the battery if I kept the starter running rather than start-stop-start. The crank sensor is very easy to get at, just under the alternator behind the pulleys. Overall, the oil change was straight-forward, apart from a moment of cursing when I got oil on the driveway. Dishwasher powder left overnight works wonders!
It's possible to overheat starter motors to the point where they break. I'd be careful of continuously cranking it. Batteries are easier to replace than starters (normally).

J.
Old 07 June 2004, 06:53 PM
micared
Scooby Regular

Doesn't usually mean anything's wrong if the oil pressure light won't extinguish during cranking....mine never has. Your starter probably isn't turning the engine over quickly enough. I can crank mine for up to a minute, inc. short breaks to let the starter cool, light will only go out when the car is actually started.....never had anything bad happen! Btw, I was worried about this myself the first time, and spoke to API David....the above are his words of wisdom, not mine!
Old 07 June 2004, 11:56 PM
NelsonUK
Scooby Regular

I can second what Micared has stated above my MY00 did the same during the last oil change.
Old 14 June 2004, 02:58 PM
Markyboy uk
Scooby Regular

So what's the bottom line then?

1 long crank or several shorter ones?

And the oil light won't neccesarily go out no matter how long you crank the engine for?

Is this correct? (Newage cars)
Old 14 June 2004, 03:10 PM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

Seems like it's normal for the light not to go out, and it now seems sensible to use several shorter cranks with a few seconds between cranking to allow the starter motor to cool. Mine is a WRX03.

CEL will go out after 3 or 5 good starts, although you may need to tell the service guys as they may think there is something wrong when they read ther error codes.
Old 15 June 2004, 08:02 PM
fastfrank
Scooby Regular

Hi,

With referrence to the oil change debate I had a look at a WRX03 (newshape) maintenance manual which I purchase off ebay. And yes, its an official Subaru verion .

The instructions copied straight from the book are as follows:

PM-7
PERIODIC MAINTENANCE SERVICES
ENGINE OIL FILTER
4. Engine Oil Filter
A: REPLACEMENT
1) Remove the under cover.
2) Remove the oil filter with ST.
ST 498547000 OIL FILTER WRENCH
• NON-TURBO MODEL
• TURBO MODEL
3) Get a new oil filter and apply a thin coat of engine
oil to the seal rubber.
4) Install the oil filter by turning it by hand, being
careful not to damage the seal rubber.
5) Tighten more (approx. 2/3 to 3/4 turn) after the
seal rubber contacts the cylinder block. Do not
tighten excessively, or oil may leak.
6) After installing the oil filter, run the engine and
make sure that no oil is leaking around seal rubber.
NOTE:
The filter element and filter case are permanently
joined; therefore, interior cleaning is not necessary.
7) Check the engine oil level. <Ref. to PM-6, INSPECTION,
Engine Oil.>

Why do Subaru not mention anything about removing the cam sensor?

Cheers
Frank
Old 15 June 2004, 08:27 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

I'm not 100% sure regarding the MY03, but with the classic's there's an addendum to that procedure outlining the need to also fill the filter before it's attached. Seeming that the MY03 manual doesn't include this (and the manual would've been produced after the addendum to the classics was issued), we could presume that either the complications involved in protecting the engine at an oil-change are unnecessary with the MY03, or that Subaru simply hasn't had enough knackered engines back yet of the MY03 variety for them to be bothered to issue the additional information.
Dunno
I also have no idea why, but I've never had any problem with oil pressure on my (MY00) car after a change - within 2 turns the pressure's up at 6 bar, so not exactly a problem (I do pre-fill the filter though ).

Just to complicate matters
Old 15 June 2004, 08:41 PM
fastfrank
Scooby Regular

I only pointed this out because these were the instuctions I followed when I did my oil/filter change.

Only difference was that I filled the filter with oil like you said before I put it on.

Started the engine and no oil pressure light at all. I must have the magic touch or something???
Old 15 June 2004, 10:13 PM
micared
Scooby Regular

Yeah, but when the engine actually starts, it takes very little oil pressure to extinguish the light.....when you're " dry cranking " the engine and the light doesn't go out, all this means is what was stated above, i.e. the starter isn't turning the engine over quickly enough to put the light out.....however, you're still chasing oil around the engine and coating all the bearing surfaces, and providing a sufficient build up of pressure prior to starting the engine to help ensure all will be well.....you did the right thing pre-filling the filter, but I wouldn't make a habit of just firing it up without doing the above, whatever the MY....regardless of what Subaru say, if it's not under warranty, it's you picking up the bill if it goes t!ts up. ( Not such an issue for you if it's a MY03, obviously )
Old 15 June 2004, 10:32 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

...although of course the engine is still turning whether you're turning it with the starter motor or it's doing it itself.
I think one of the key issues here is the oil -if you use ****e oil, it's not going to work very well. Well, duh. Unfortunately, Subaru garages use ****e oil, so they have to be very careful indeed, which of course they aren't, which is where the problems start.
IMHO, of course
Old 16 June 2004, 04:31 PM
Markyboy uk
Scooby Regular

Nevermind them not mentioning the crank sensor mate, in that maintenance manual you posted from they don't even mention putting any oil in!!

"6) After installing the oil filter, run the engine and
make sure that no oil is leaking around seal rubber."

Originally Posted by fastfrank
Hi,

With referrence to the oil change debate I had a look at a WRX03 (newshape) maintenance manual which I purchase off ebay. And yes, its an official Subaru verion .

The instructions copied straight from the book are as follows:

PM-7
PERIODIC MAINTENANCE SERVICES
ENGINE OIL FILTER
4. Engine Oil Filter
A: REPLACEMENT
1) Remove the under cover.
2) Remove the oil filter with ST.
ST 498547000 OIL FILTER WRENCH
• NON-TURBO MODEL
• TURBO MODEL
3) Get a new oil filter and apply a thin coat of engine
oil to the seal rubber.
4) Install the oil filter by turning it by hand, being
careful not to damage the seal rubber.
5) Tighten more (approx. 2/3 to 3/4 turn) after the
seal rubber contacts the cylinder block. Do not
tighten excessively, or oil may leak.
6) After installing the oil filter, run the engine and
make sure that no oil is leaking around seal rubber.
NOTE:
The filter element and filter case are permanently
joined; therefore, interior cleaning is not necessary.
7) Check the engine oil level. <Ref. to PM-6, INSPECTION,
Engine Oil.>

Why do Subaru not mention anything about removing the cam sensor?

Cheers
Frank
Old 16 June 2004, 06:18 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget to dip the clutch when cranking the engine. The gearbox with 75/90 oil in it, takes a lot more power to turn, especially when cold.
JohnD
Old 16 June 2004, 06:28 PM
micared
Scooby Regular

Nom, yeah, the engine's still turning over either way.....but dry cranking removes the stress from the bearings, especially if the plugs aren't in.
Old 17 June 2004, 12:47 AM
andyr
Scooby Regular

Quite pleased I've read this thread as last time I changed the oil in my MY95 WRX for RS10/60 I did all that is recommended (excepting spark plug removal which is mentioned as a positive but not vital step).
I started sweating when after cranking the engine over (IIRC a couple of 20 sec turns then a couple of 10 sec turns) the oil light stayed lit. I eventually plugged the sensor back in and after 2 or 3 seconds or so the light went out and I've since driven a couple of '000 miles and all seems fine - must be time for another oil change !
1 suggestion at the time was it might have been an indication of slightly iffy oil pressure release valve ?