Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2004, 01:32 PM
markus_UK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel for my PPP WRX

Yo all

(I have done a search - promise) !

Firstly, ordered the WRX MY04 with PPP. Hope to pick it up at end of week (they had one in stock ).

Now, the PPP will be fitted after 1000 mile service (gutted, but there must be a good techical reason for this).

Any way I'm confused about the fuel issue ....

1) Optimax. Its by shell right? As I can see its an 'advanced' fuel but its not 'superunleaded' - thus its not 97 ron - am I right ?

2) What fuel should I use for the first 1000. Seems to me it does not matter (in terms of RON) since the car will be reprogammed when it gets PPP.

3) I understand the the prodrive figures for PPP were obtained with 97 Ron fuel. Thus I guess that you need superunleaded (not Optimax??) to get the most out of it ?

4) There are no Shell stations near me ... what are the alteratives to Optimax (if I really need it).

5) Can you swop between unleaded and superunleaded with PPP (e.g. you might want to run 95 for a couple of weeks whilst pottering to work, then fill with 97 for a blast - does the ECU adjust ?

thanks for any advice !

Mark
Old 08 June 2004, 02:03 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

Optimax (if I remember correctly) is infact 98 ron , though this can decrease if it's been left lying in a tank for a while , so it's a higher ron rating than most (if not all ) other 'superunleaded's' out there and seems to be the choice of lots of people on SN . Other superunleadeds out there are BP Ultimate,Esso super, Sainsburys ,Q8 ....etc

Dave
Old 08 June 2004, 02:28 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

the ecu will adjust between 95 and 97 ron but it takes a while.

Personally I would only run on Super-UL minimum, with optimax being my fuel of choice, with or without PPP.

You will be limited to 4000rpm till 1000 mile service anyway, so unlikely to do any damage with normal unleaded, but start as you mean to go on, I would say.
Old 09 June 2004, 12:40 AM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

Talking

Your car is DESIGNED for 97 ron fuel only, so forget 95 ron! The handbook will tell you this too. Optimax is the best choice, and it's 98 ron which is good. I had to wait 1000 miles before having my PPP fitted too, what you'll probably notice when you do finally have it fitted is that it's not THAT wild! Be patient, because as your miles accumulate, the car will become quicker and more responsive due to the engine loosening up, especially after around 10,000 miles! And if you feel your brakes are a little weak, then try Goodridge braded brake hoses and Ferodo DS 2500 pads!
Old 09 June 2004, 12:28 PM
Taomyn
Scooby Regular

Location: Europe (Brit. ex-Pat.) - MY03 WRX PPP + Opel Monza GSE
Question

My MY03 that I got in Luxembourg, now with PPP, says by the filler cap 98RON only! Don't know what it says in the manual as it's in French

All SUL in Lux and surrounding countries (France, Belgium, Luxembourg) is 98, but when I drove back to the UK (to Kent), I was mildly concerned as all I could find was Shell Optimax (I'd heard it was higher than 95 but no idea what), and BP Ultimate (which the pump said was 97). So I used both for the week I was over, I was only pottering around so never blasted it, then waited until I got back to France before filling up with 98 again.

What we need is a nice register of stations, companies and RONs covering the UK and Europe so we know where best to go

I keep meaning to visit one of the Lux stations close to the German border to see if they have any of that lovely 100RON people keep mentioning. Maybe this weekend.
Old 09 June 2004, 02:18 PM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

I use BP Ultimate in my WRX 04 PPP
Old 09 June 2004, 02:46 PM
l3wyy
Scooby Regular

Carry a tub of fuel additive, just incase your wife fills it up with cheap stuff from the unbranded petrol station. Don't worry everyone she now knows the difference between hugs and being killed.....Just off to finish the patio....
She won't do that again.....Only joking.

On a serious note, I carry a tube of additive as I've been caught short a few times in the country side and had to nip behind the 95 RON pump. But the French are weird anyway with their funny fuel, Rapaneese are the worst with their 103 RON...

Anyone ever used a mixed fuel? Like 99% SupUL, 1% 76 Race fuel?
Old 09 June 2004, 06:02 PM
malinen
Scooby Regular

In my MY03 WRX reads: 98 RON Fuel Only
Old 09 June 2004, 10:38 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Smile

Originally Posted by Taomyn
What we need is a nice register of stations, companies and RONs covering the UK and Europe so we know where best to go
Well this gives the Shell (Optimax) stations for the UK & Europe plus a few more countries.

SHELL STATION LOCATOR

And this for UK only BP (Ultimate) stations.

BP STATION LOCATOR

Mark

Last edited by FLAT ERIC; 09 June 2004 at 10:42 PM.
Old 10 June 2004, 07:49 PM
Rewolf
Scooby Regular

I was definitely told by the dealer that my WRX 04 PPP would automatically adjust between 95 and 97 (or higher).

And I think that I have seen it happening, but not quite in the way expected...

When car was new (only 3K so far so everything is relative!) lovely sound from exhaust, and the car is very responsive. Started using Optimax, and over the next few weeks the growl turns into a hum, and my perception is that it just isn't responsive any more...or am I just getting used to the performance?

On a whim, I started using Esso SUL rather than Optimax, and for a couple of days the car sounded quite rough, and then it settled down - and it now feels and sounds exactly like it did when new. This I assume is the automatic adjustment happening.

I think that the local Shell is selling Optimax that is either off before I get it, or that goes off very quickly, and I get an expensive tank of 95 with some smoothing additives. I do about 300 miles per week, so it's not like I leave it in the tank that long; about a week actually! Fuel economy is a bit hard to judge (depends on trips and enthusiam) but I think that the two are about the same. I will be sticking with Esso SUL from now on as Optimax definitely ruins the sound....
Old 10 June 2004, 07:56 PM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

have a look at this post

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...65#post3418265